Bend Object Along Curve

Hello,
Is there an alternative command to flow that can bend an intricate column along a specific curve with so much distortion? Or is this something that needs to be/can be done with grasshopper?

Hi Em - the Flow command should help here.

-Pascal

Thank you.
This issue I am having is I need to have the base surface flat on the ground. I tried moving the reference curve to the front, however the back is then less accurate, and is what needs to accurately follow the curve for installation. I’ve turned off stretch so it does not distort, but is there a way to have the base start flat on the ground plane? I attached a simplified version of the geometry I am working with.

Column-test.3dm (5.8 MB)

Hi Em - it will follow your curve, so you need to set the curve up so it makes sense.
That said, I think I’d Revolve the profile shape and stick it on top of the base, not bend the whole thing…

-Pascal

I see what you are saying, thank you. The curve I have is what it needs to be, because that is the curve of the wall surface that the column will run along. So I guess I need to come up with a different design solution for the base to not be raised off the ground, and have the rest still follow the curve. Thank you.

You might try Extrude Along.

Created using CageEdit.

Column-test DC_1.3dm (2.1 MB)

Thanks, I will try this!

I hadn’t thought to try cage edit. Thank you, I’ll try it.

Was there an option to pick to cage edit relative to the curve, as it seems you have done? The actual object I’m working with is far more complex than this geometry, so I don’t know if that will affect my options. I found a tutorial which mentions using a curve as a control object, but I wasn’t having success with doing so.

I guess I am confused about what is not working using Flow to begin with - or make a Revolve - what is not correct about the shape?

-Pascal

Hello, the issue is my column is actually far more complex than this. It does not have a simple same profile all the way up. And so with flow, the problem is still the base being angled off the ground. And I can’t rotate the curve to correct this, because it is connecting to a wall. I unfortunately can’t share the actual object due to project privacy requirements.

I can just change the base design to try to correct for this with flow, but wanted to make sure I haven’t missed an alternative solution.

Got it. thanks, Can you place sections/profiles along the curve and sweep?

-Pascal

No, unfortunately the design can’t be achieved with that. Thank you though, for all the suggestions!

My CageEdit method will work with complex shapes.

I used the surfaces createdfrom the curve, NOT the curve, as the control object.

ExtrudeCrv the curve to create the target cage. Width does not matter. Result needs to be a surface, not an extrusion object.

Copy the target cage surface and turn on control points.

Use SetPt on each column of control points to straighten the surface. Do not change the width.

CageEdit with the straight surface as the control cage.

Turn on the control points of the curved target surface.

Move the control points of the cage to the corresponding control points of the target.

Release from cage.

I see - well, probably best to have the geometry - please send a file to tech@mcneel.com, with a link back here in your comments.

-Pascal