Background Save in Rhino - possible?

Waiting for the file to save is perhaps the biggest bottleneck in Rhino these days for us. It is not uncommon to work on 1GB or larger files - they perform great with the fast display etc. but saving is a real drag, even on a very fast PC with SSD HD…
Autosave gets in the way, too, but since Rhino is not crash-free, a good habit to save every 15-20 min or when major step has been completed in the model on larger files really kills the joy having to wait 2-3 min for the file to save. I hear Mac version doesn’t have that problem since background save it somehow system-supported. But how about PC? I can’t imagine bigger productivity boost for Rhino now, that would affect EVERY user, no matter what they do with Rhino…

I know you guys @ RMA ‘love’ other software comparisons, but… Adobe Photoshop has this feature from CS6 version (2012) on PCs… It pretty much enabled working on huge files there seamlessly because once we hit ‘save’, the status-bar progress shows file saving, but users can keep working in the file! How awesome would it be in Rhino? I saw the discussion above here getting very technical… in the end, if there was one thing to look forward in for us V7, it would be background save…

AFAIK, this wish did not even make it to YT… Who do we send cookies to this time ??

–jarek

3 Likes