AUTOSAVE is Useless

Thanks this should be a good workaround, will give it a go!

• yes not multiple saves for multiple files.
  • the files are named and modifed - sometimes a lot fo work is going on in pluggins like vray, enscape, grasshopper which perhaps are not counting towards the timer of usage?

Based on what you have said, autosave works with 20 mins of usage - i guess the problems often occur say if you are copying lots of different files to one main file, say for animating a scene - that would be a lot of work done, but potentially the rhino timer might not reach 20 mins quick, hence autosave files 2-3 hours old for instance ( a theory) - either way this is a daily issue - on multiple CPU builds we have in and out the office for a many years now. if you gave some user control over the issue that would be most ideal from our perspective.

Hi Geoff - can you reliably reproduce this situation? If so where are the files saved, are they local, network or a synced drive like GoogleDrive or DropBox?

Well - if you set autosaving for 20 minutes and modify the document at some point, there should be an autosave within the next 20 minutes. (Saving, regular Save, will reset the timer. )

From what I gather, this is not happening for you?

-Pascal

@pascal This is not happening for me - In fact, I think I’ve always had a problem where I go to grab an “autosave” file from the designated folder (like after what just happened - my Rhino 7 crashed) and there’s absolutely nothing in that folder. Have AutoSave set to 20min. Normally not a prob b/c I save all the time, but this time I didn’t and I just lost a bunch of material work I did.

What’s the deal with that “Save” in the Idle Commands?

Hello - if you type AutoSave and Enter, does a file appear in the folder you are looking in?

-Pascal

Yes, and oddly, it then shows me a two more backup files now (from months ago, which would be fine b/c I wasn’t using RH7 that much until last Wednesday, but I’ve been using it solid since then, so there should be a bunch of BU files in there since then. )

Autosave files are not backup files - they only exist to try to get something back in the event Rhino does not close cleanly for whatever reason. If Rhino is closed cleanly, these autosave files are moved to the trash.

-Pascal

Ah. Ok, I will have to research BackUp files then. Thanks

I still agree with you, AutoSave in Rhino is garbage and completely unreliable and useless.
It’s a pointless function that Rhino just needs to stop all together. It doesn’t do what it’s suppose to.

How AutoSave should function is it should actually save the file you’re working on in the file location, not some other location. And even when it’s another location, it should be doing what I told it to do.
I specifically told it to save every 20 mins, so then why is the last time it saved 3 hours ago and not the 20 minute interval I told it to.
Completely useless component of Rhino…
Also, if it deletes the autosave file after Rhino closes then I should be able to find or access this deleted file… like why get rid of it when it can’t do it’s job properly in the first place. So frustrating.

the deleted autosave files are stored in the trash in rhino v6 and v7 until you manually delete them.

we agree auto save is not ideal. Always open to ideas on how to improve it.

Stop calling it Autosave, because it doesn’t do what people think Autosave usually should. Call it EmergencySave instead.

4 Likes

Hello - this was the case but users complained that on network locations it was far too slow, so it saves locally now.

Please see Help on Autosave - and why the timer may not be what you expect.

Note it is not intended as a substitute for Save.

Feel free to turn it off if you think it is useless, of course.

-Pascal

That’s what I meant by my post above, most people think that Autosave will simply automatically save the file every X minutes - not an emergency copy, but just like hitting the Save button every X minutes.

changing the name to “crash save, or emergency save” makes a lot of sense. I agree “autosave” is entirely misleading.

3 Likes

“Emergency Save” feels more precise to me. It would certainly help disambiguate it from the macOS Versions “Autosave” feature that we employ over in Rhino for Mac. There have been requests to implement something like the Rhino for Windows “Emergency Save” feature in Rhino for Mac.

2 Likes

And how about implementing the option to simply automatically save the file (as in a normal save, overwrite the current saved version) every X minutes on the Windows side? You could call that one “Autosave”… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

FYI Revit does exactly this, cyclically, over a definable number of autosave files.

1 Like

Similar topic from 2019, but regarding the behaviour of Aurosave:

+1 for @Helvetosaur

That would be useful.