Attaching objects around curves

I am learning to design shoes, and I have hit a stopping point. I want to attach a flat sole around a curved shoe and its an stl file. Does anyone have any knowledge on how to do this?

Hi Adam- please post the file with the meshes and curves.

-Pascal

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByzMdqRFa-rYZVF2YmVVSHZiU0U/edit?usp=sharing

SoleofPenny.3dm (334.9 KB)

Hi Adam… Sorry, not much I can do with just that - do you have the upper?

I guess one approach would be to CageEdit the thing into place with a surface as a control.

But it will not be terribly accurate - the mesh is pretty coarse.

SoleofPenny_PG.3dm (772.1 KB)

-Pascal

The upper is in that first google drive link

Hi Adam - Guess I’d do what I suggested previously if you just want to modify the meshes. In this case I ran TestRefineMesh on the sole to give it more polys across the top. (note Test commands to not auto complete and are not supported or in the help file- i.e. use at your own risk). The control surface is a degree 5 by 5 surface attached to the sole using CageEdit. You can point edit this object to modify the mesh.

PennyLoafer_PG_Sole.zip (1.4 MB)

-Pascal

Hello Pascal, Shoemaker
Could you please capture some of your sole modellings by rhino and share it please? I am trying to learn by myself alone from you tube videos only. Therre are may problems that I cannot solve. i watched all the videos on the internet about the shoe soles, but they are the easy ones. A three colors of sport shoes sole looks so complicated.