Assigning different color to polysurface's faces

Hi All ,
When I combine multiple different colored surfaces , I want their colors to stay the same.

like this ,

but normal rhino command when I join the surfaces automatically assign one color. I want mutiple color per face.

I will be grateful if you could help me.

I second this request. Would be nice to be able to assign materials like this too

Hi -
You attached the python tag to your topic. Is this a scripting question?

Just to make sure, do you know that you can assign different display colors to different surfaces in a polysurface?
-wim

I added that it can also be solved with python.

you are right I want to do exactly that. How can I assign different display color surfaces in a polysurface ?

Sub-object select them (Ctrl+Shift+Click) and assign a color or material as you normally would.

2 Likes

ah ok it looks good thank you. Is there a way to do this in grasshopper (parameticly ) ?

No idea. Maybe via Elefront… haven’t tried.

Note also - there is a discussion of whether Join should respect “Per-Face Colors” - it’s not all that simple and not yet resolved.
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-57942

ok thank you for all support

It might benefit the decision process on this join issue for you to add your thoughts here, as a user with real-world requirements for this capability. After reviewing the jet brains issue details, of course.

Hi!

It seems it doesn’t work with version 6 of Rhino…

That is correct, per-face color was added in V7.

It works perfectly in Rhino 8, but in Rhino 7 it does not have the option of assigning custom display color to a face. Is there a way around it?

It does here in V7… How are you assigning the color?

I am working in Rhino 7, (Ctrl+Shift+Click) and do not have that option either.

Hi Jaclyn -

Can you please provide more details about how you are trying to set such color?
Also, please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here.
-wim

It worked in R7, I was not assigning it correctly. Rhino8 has a better UI. Great upgrade