AR and VR Support

Currently my team is attempting to create a VR pipeline and the workflow is convoluted. Quadmeshing and ngon support helps with this to some degree.

Current workflow- Solidworks/Rhino->moi OBJ export-> Blender/SubstancePainter UV unwraps and texture->Unreal Engine.

Oculus/Vive/VR support would be huge. Right now you dont get a real sense of scale until you 3d print models. VR integration would save tremendous time and cost of iteration.

Would implemention of OpenHMD make sense? http://openhmd.net/

Have you checked out Fabric Engine? They produce a pipeline to go from Rhino to VR by leveraging Unreal.

OpenHMD looks interesting and definitely worth exploring.

Yeah - familiar with Fabric engine but was unaware that they had developed a rhino connection - will have to check it out

Also, IrisVR https://www.irisvr.com/ has developed a pipeline as well.

Holy cow- that Fabric integration is frikking sweet!! Thanks for sharing. Are you on the beta team?

1 Like

Will be talking to the Fabric Engine team soon- Thanks again for the share.

1 Like

For those interested in more info: http://fabricengine.com/fabric-unreal-working-rhino-data-unreal-engine/

Hi @thomas_parel, all

Since Fabric engine went belly up, what are you all doing to have some efficient way to bring Rhino to VR?

We have a similar workflow to that. We tried Unrealā€™s Datasmith but itā€™s not very good, the automatic UV is not useful.

Also anything out there to just view a Rhino viewport in VR? No export, no meshing, nothing downstream. Just view your Rhino scene/file in VR, Like Modo does?

thx,

G

It definitely would be nice start to have core Rhino to offer VR simple viewport streamed to VR, with ā€œlook aroundā€ rotations with head turns abilityā€¦ It already would be great to have and play with, and develop further wishes!

Yeah. Everyone is doing it. If Rhino doesnā€™t do this they will be our go business by next year because VR is the future and blahā€¦ blahā€¦ blahā€¦

Same with Generative design and running on the cloudā€¦ :rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

G

I didnā€™t try to imply that! Merely suggesting a baby step to play with. Like the Red/Blue glasses mode :wink:

I know you didnā€™t. You are way smarter than that! ā€¦I was just preparing for the avalanche, that I might have started by saying: ā€˜Modo is doing itā€™

It would be very nice. And for people with the unmasking talent, dedication and skills of @jeff, this is probably a perfect X-mass break fun project.

1 Like

Gusto- We are on the same frikking wavelength. I was just thinking this yesterday and I am amazed that noone has a good pipeline to Oculus/Vive in the CAID space.

Iā€™d be nice to have something so the Vive Pro is always there ready to look as stuff, like a second (rather 3rd) monitor.

RE: Oculus. We donā€™t use that shit. We are an ethical company. Not a penny, a second, or a kilobyte goes to Facebook (thatā€™s who Oculus is), or Google, or any other low-life form.

Itā€™s obvious why there isnā€™t. The Second Coming of VR is fizzling out. Maybe in another fifteen years.

Sample of one small team here, we are using VR for virtual prototyping and design reviews, saving them 10s of thousands of dollars. And adding 2 more clients for similar efforts in 2019. So this isnā€™t a fad.

Itā€™s true that maybe itā€™s fizzing out just as 3D printing did: Content creation tools are absolutely useless for people that donā€™t know how to make stuff; but game-changing for those who do. The market size is never even close to what the evangelists and speculators hope, but I think itā€™s here to stay.

1 Like

Have you tried RhinoVR? GitHub - mcneel/RhinoVR: RhinoVR - a virtual reality sample plug-in for Rhino 7
The team in Finland have been working on this, specifically David Eranen. You can download the latest from the releases.
Iā€™ve used it in an installation in September, and works without much fuss, given you have decent CPU/GPU. I got an MSI laptop with a GeForce 1080 to do some testing.

A warning before you go get it: this is only a sample for 3rd party devs to see how to hook into a special viewport able to render at 90 fps, how to target HMDs (Rift and Vive atm), and link the controllers.

That being said, Iā€™m a big fan. Arctic, Rendered, and other modes look great. YMMV based on the size (number of objects) of your model.

There are also many other solutions that work with Rhino. Iā€™ve heard Enscape is great. Iā€™ve also tried Minddesk and Fologram (AR), which have some interesting GH functionality. Many teams with existing solutions are looking to hook into the RhinoVR code. Finally, of what Iā€™ve tried, IrisVR has a lot of impressive functionality, and works on multiple platforms. Each solution has something they are focusing on. RhinoVR is just a simple, but functioning sample.

Hi Luis,

When I see this:

itā€™s pretty much like seeing this:

Thatā€™s not my world, it feels incomprehensible and I just close the window.

After reading your post Iā€™m realizing that maybe this is something I can install and test by myself. So Iā€™ll give it a try.

BTW, when I say ā€˜like in Modoā€™ I mean all I have to do is hit this tab, one mouse-click:

Iā€™m curios why you donā€™t include this functionality in Rhino WIP, without having to install anything?

The Rhino WIP is already a terrible representative group of users of the real world user base of Rhino. Making functionality like this part of the GitHub underground seems like just more nerd echo-chambering. I donā€™t get it.

I get why this makes sense for developers, but Iā€™d argue that an expensive plugin to just make a viewport VR-ready is absolutely irrelevant. We have zero interest on more plugins, more licenses, more exporting and obsoleting files, more disjointed experiences, more little companies with no business model, more troubles. Especially when companies like Enscape, Mindesk, etc most likely end up selling to Autodesk or Dassault or some other VR VCs/Private Equity (if they are not already hostages of VCs). I wonā€™t spend a penny or a second on a 3rd party product for this basic functionality.

If McNeelā€™s argument is that this is not basic functionality, then fine, change me $300-500 extra for a McNeel developed, supported, and Rhino-Teams-licensed plugin. I trust that, and happy to invest money and time on something that has long term viability.

We need two things:

• Working more in VR in Rhino (and Grasshopper). With one-click.
  • Export to Unreal. (a bridge from Grasshopper to Unreal is something we would pay for, for sure)

I hope this helps,

Gustavo

2 Likes

Apologies, hereā€™s a better link from the releases with an .rhi you just download and install: https://github.com/mcneel/RhinoVR/releases/tag/v0.2

1 Like

You spoil me Luis. Thank you Sr :pray:t4:

1 Like