Apple Silicon/M1 - No for BigSur 11.2, yes for BigSur 11.3

This would be an valid option! But seriously, if its about cpu rendering performance only, the m1 chip isn’t the best option at all.

@hubertus
If you need Rendering speed, then you need to run Rhino V7 in Windows on an Nvidia GPU with lots of CUDA cores.

Cycles on Mac can not use GPU rendering.
Apple has never sorted the GPU rendering issue.

2 Likes

what do you mean with that?

I posted about it already a few times, but Octane X seems to be very well optimized GPU render engine for Macs (as well as AppleSilicon)… sadly with no Rhino support yet though

Octane is not a plug-in rendering tool.
I’m specifically describing the new V7 Cycles based Rhino t Render.
In Windows it supports CUDA nad OpenCL GPU rendering.
In Mac is does not.

Sorry for the confusion.

ciao Jacopo anche io uso Rhino solo per moderazione 3D, mi confermi che rhinoceros Funziona ?
ciao grazie
L

Is there any new info on the approximate time of support RH7 for M1?
To buy or not to buy 7 at a promoted price? …or should I wait for 8??
Thanks!

Getting V7 to run using the Rosetta tools is not up to us.
Apple will need to make it work.
We have no way to guess when or if that might happen.

As far a V8 goes, don’t take that as a hard promise either.
It’s what we call a Wild Guess.
Writing Rhino that is binary compatible with this new hardware architecture is a huge project. Many of the function libraries we need are not yet available for the new platform.

1 Like

But I still probably have no choice, as I will not run V5 and V6 on M1
Can it work on 8 WIP some time?

Ok, I see…
Serengeti build - the latest BETA
(Requires a Rhino 7 license key)

Maybe eventually, but not now.
That’s the “Wild Guess” I mentioned in my previous post.

1 Like

I asked because I only have a license V5…
So I only have one option.

Sorry, I don’t understand.
Here are the System Requirements for V5:
https://www.rhino3d.com/5/system_requirements/

Here are the system requirements for V7:

If your current Mac is too old, then get a new Intel CPU, AMD GPU Mac.

I have Macbook Pro 2020 M1…Big Sur

Then you can not run Rhino.
I’d send it back and get an Intel CPU Mac

3 Likes

Apple did fix some of the outstanding issues with their upcoming version 11.3 of Big Sur, but there are still too many other problems at this point to recommend using Rhino on an M1. We are reporting issues to Apple and hopefully they can improve the situation.

4 Likes

Thank you! :pray:
I bought that version 7 … I have no choice but to believe that I will soon see full functionality

1 Like

If you know how to complain to Apple, please do so. Big Sur 11.3 at least looks like a step forward in that Rhino is not crashing on it, but there are still many outstanding display issues that we know of.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ll do it!

Hey luca, I got it working for what I need to do by deactivating “custom material” display in the view settings. I’m running the latest version of Rhino 7 but this was made on the previous version. I have no knowledge that maybe new updates carried fixes. If you don’t need to do renders and that settings it could work… it does for me at least… but I am a student and I run Educational License, so it makes sense to use a partially functioning piece of software since I don’t have to pay for it.

Ciao Jacopo

Grazie del tuo consiglio,
Io ci lavoro ma solo per la modellazione 3D la parte di rendering viene realizzata con keyshot.
Comunque assurdo che nel caso dovessi cambiare il mio portatile per avere un secondo pc per uso esterno allo studio … ( in studio ho un I mac molto potente) sia costretto ad acquistare un mac book pro diciamo vecchio perché la nuova versione con M1 non funziona oppure comprare un nuovo mac con M1 e sapere che i software non funzioneranno per almeno 1 anno dal suo acquisto…

Tu che mac hai ? Su che macchina stai lavorando?

Ciao
Buona giornata
LP