Any sseful SubD tips?

I’m relatively new to Rhino and have been reading a lot of forums.

It appears that T-Spline has already stopped developing in Rhino6 so that’s out of the picture. I have also looked into Clayoo but as a student i find it super expensive (around $800) for a Rhino Plugin.

I have also looked into the SubDfromMesh command hidden in Rhino6 but it seems lacking a few inputs. Is there any good alternative to be able to smoothen out the edges with any Sub-D methods?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Hi - development of SubD functionality is happening in Rhino 7. If you have a license for Rhino 6, you can download a WIP of Rhino 7 to test its features.

When you convert a mesh to SubD, by default the edges will be smooth. Can you post an example of what you are trying to do?

Thank you for your reply Wim Dekeyser.

I have a license for Rhino 6. does that mean that the SubD command would show up in Rhino if I download that WIP?

And sorry for my lack of understanding mesh. I’ve tried to mesh my cylinder (or anything at all) but it gives a weird result.

I’ve attached a few images to demonstrate that.

Also, I have tried using the Mesh command on both Rhino 6 and Rhino WIP which resulted in 2 different results. (using the same properties)

is there a clear explanation for this?

mesh2

The mesher in Rhino is not made to output SubD-friendly meshes. For a cylinder, you would typically start from a MeshCylinder with few mesh faces - as in this picture (mesh in red on the left - SubD output in blue on the right):

We are currently working to make regular Rhino (NURBS) commands like Revolve, Loft, etc. output SubD objects directly.

I’m not sure what’s going on in the images that you posted - please post 3dm files with input geometry.

As for the Mesh command, that is also under development in Rhino 7, so different results are to be expected. But, again, I’m not sure what I’m looking at in those pictures…