Another RT render engine?

I guess it’ll depend on the type of card we have…

http://www.develop3d.com/blog/2016/03/amd-previews-free-photorealistic-renderer-for-rhino

2 Likes

It depends if it is april fools?

I doubt it is:

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/firepro-sdk/amd-firerender-technology/

-Willem

I hope its for both Windows and Mac (as it says in the article, but not on AMD’s website)…

Philip

Interesting to see the big boys tripping over each other to get in on the Rhino realtime market, obviously inspired by Imagination’s success(???) with the Caustic hardware(which was pretty cool, too bad we won’t get a “V2,”) for Neon.

I think this is partly due to how open Rhino is for 3rd party developers. Writing a robust plugin is possible for everyone ( with the skills). I think other software is not that open for external development.

Also note that RMA uses the same tool-set to build their own high level plugins/features, this mean that the architecture and stability is well developed and maintained. I imagine developing such a plugin as for RT rendering is not that straightforward in other software, because their code base is not developed to support modularity without compromising safety and stability.

-Willem

I still feel a bit burned by Inspiration’s dumping of the caustic cards so soon after buying one. In what way is this ‘successful’?
I wonder if the caustic cards (being OpenCL, right?) will run with the AMD software…

Caustic was not Open CL. It was OpenRL. AMD software will not work with the card.

My experience is that buying dedicated hardware is only a temporary solution while new methods are being developed, or until the mainstream hardware has adopted the new features of the dedicated hardware.

Edit: I see the Caustic cards are no longer being developed.

I was at the show last week. When I first saw this on stage I thought they were talking about Cycles . Had same gray status bar at bottom of viewport, same grainy scene refinement, so they call it realtime, but it isn’t.

I they saw it being demoed in the show floor: I think think this can compete with the speed of the Rhino GL viewport, the fast quality you get with Cycles, or the zero effort realistic final output you get with KeyShot.

They were running in on s desktop with ATI Fire something something cards. One scene on a car (shown in that D3D article looked pretty terrible, worse that GL + shadows. It was all dark, only smooth materials with reflection maps. The other scene, the coffee maker) had supposedly metal, porcelain, glass, etc. but in fact it looked also like a terribly lit Auxpecker scene with dirty ambient occlusion and more shitty shiny shaders. And it was sllllllooooooooooow. So not realtime at all. Guy tried to move a cup in the scene, it never updated.

Maybe it was just a terrible demo and the product is awesome in the right hands (but that would present a usability/adoption problem too). From what I have seen in GPU rendering in the last decade I’m extremely skeptical.

Here’s a new article (from a analyst that promotes GPUs, so keep objectivity in mind) talking about the ATI and Nvidia offerings: http://gfxspeak.com/2016/04/05/graphics-leaders-stalking-rhino/

For the last 10 years I keep hearing that GPU rendering is finally good and ready for production. I also keep hearing Rhino will ship with an awesome solution for non experts with easy to assign pre-made materials’ library and environments. Neither has happened yet, I think Cycles has a chance to be A really good solution, but it needs a lot of love in terms of materials and presets.

In the meantime I’ll keep exporting to Keyshot and Modo.

1 Like

53 posts were split to a new topic: Rendering and Material Improvements(?) in Rhino

The technology is still being developed, it’s been in the news fairly recently as a part of a new chipset with the old “PowerVR” name, the “professional” thing was I would guess never more than a stepping stone, the target is where the real money is–phones.

1 Like