Animation issue with GH geometry

Thanks a lot @nathanletwory ! this is looking great!

Thanks @nathanletwory, this is very cool, and it seems that it will give us what we want to see animated geometry changes driven by Rhino (like key-framed transformations at object/control-point level) and have Grasshopper follow all those references geometry changes with its solver.

@brian, @DavidRutten, I’m still a bit confused on something related to Grasshopper and its abilities (or potential future abilities) to be animated. As far as I know all we can animate in GH are numerical slider values. No other values or what is hooked to what, correct? Let me explain: we might have a ‘desired state’ or a ‘concept 1’ that is a combination of a specific numeric slider values + a specific drop-down list values + a specific Boolean toggle value + a specific geometry input feeding a definitions vs. another (surface 01 components vs. surface 02 component).

Right now with GH saved states there is no way to save all those things. Or with any other way that we know of. Do you see a solution for this?
We would like to save all the mouse clicks/connections/values what make up what we, designers working in Rhino + Grasshopper call a ‘save state’ vs. what Grasshopper currently calls a ‘saved state’. And eventually will will like to animate between these states. But even before we get into animation: Is this more holistic save/retrieve of states possible? doable? desirable?.. for us makes perfect sense. I want to be able to open a Rhino + Grasshopper file and be able to save an ‘Uber Snapshot’ of all the changes that go into Rhino + Grasshopper to go from Concept 01, to Concept 02, concept 3… and eventually animate between them too.

Again, we want Rhino + Grasshopper + Bongo to really work well together. You guys are so close. So so close. Can we get there?

Thanks,

G

Not sure how far it is, but here in the Turku, Finland office there is a GH/Bongo integration where you can set keyframes for any GH property that has been registered with Bongo (we briefly talked about it too when @DavidRutten was here) . Keyframes on the same frame of the timeline would constitute different states that will be interpolated when playing the Bongo timeline.

Hi Nathan, I appreciate the effort you are dedicating to our request, do you have an estimated time when we can at least test a solution?

Not yet, I got some issues piled on my todo, I hope to get them done in a few days.

1 Like

Any progress on this topic? I would be very interested in a Grasshopper + Bongo (+VRay) integration

Yes, the Bongo 3 WIP currently has a C# SDK under development. This will allow Grasshopper components to be created that modify Bongo data, etc. Currently, no custom Grasshopper components have been written with the Bongo 3 WIP. Potentially some work will be done to allow sliders and other components to be animated with Bongo.

If you’re feeling froggy you can actually play with the Bongo SDK now with the WIP. With a C# script component right click it and select “Manage Assemblies.”

You can then add an assembly

And navigate to “C:\Program Files\Bongo 3.0 (64-bit)” and select BongoNET.dll. This is a WIP though and I offer 0 guarantees of anything. There’s very little if any documentation and you’ll have to do all the leg work of creating something useful.

2 Likes