Amd Radeon 580 RX very slow. Config problem or compatibility?

Hello, I would like to ask if this is an issue becouse of an incompatible graphic card, or becouse I have to do some checks on configuration.

I have a new Radeon RX 580 with ryzen 7 1700 cpu, and my Lapton Yoga 730 with intel UHD 620 integrated graphic card is performing way better than my desktop pc. Can’t tell the fps, but with the desktop pc I can only work switching off complex layers. the model I used for comparisson is a mesh imported from sketchup, so possibly is a bad geometry that makes the graphic card to fail.
if the problem is the graphic card im going to return it.

Desktop Specs:
ATI Technologies Inc.
Radeon RX 580 Series
OpenGL version: 4.6.13547 Compatibility Profile Context 25.20.15015.1002
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60
Driver Date: 1-22-2019
Driver Version: 25.20.15015.1002

Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24bits
Stencil depth: 8bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Laptop:
Intel® UHD Graphics 620
OpenGL version: 4.5.0 - Build 24.20.100.6286
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 - Build 24.20.100.6286
Driver Date: 8-15-2018
Driver Version: 24.20.100.6286

Z-Buffer depth: 24bits
Stencil depth: 8bits
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

And this is the model

Visualization issues which may be causing the Amd graphic card to fail, but visibible on both systems.
(maybe related to “far from origin” problems)
imagen

Hi - I see that the RX 580 is also discussed in the following thread where @jeff and @nathanletwory seem to have more experience with older drivers:

Before they chime in with better ideas, please let us know which version of Rhino 6 you are currently running.

1 Like

Thanks for your fast reply. It’s Rhino 6.12.18349.12551
I’m not familiar with the concept of cycles. Not using raytracying or rendering, only shaded viewport.
Anyway, I checked the options to see if there is something i was missing, and that dialog is rendered a bit weird.

should i try to install old drivers?

That’s worth a shot, if you ask me.

Probably the Q1.18 drivers (i.e. drivers from first quart of 2018) are the best.

Installed Adrenalin 18.11.1 and not noticing any difference.
Is there a way to display fps on rhino and poligon count in viewport? so i can compare

Can you post the output of the Rhino command _SystemInfo please?

you could use the command _Testmaxspeed
but for a fair comparison you should make sure all settings are teh same, same viewport resolution (use a floating viewport), maybe start from a namedView, same geometry and mesh settings etc

you could also use holomark 2 for comparing the two systems:

1 Like

Here it is :slight_smile:

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: D…

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: Radeon RX 580 Series (AMD) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 11-7-2018 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.5.13542 Compatibility Profile Context 25.20.14011.1003

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50
Driver Date: 11-7-2018
Driver Version: 25.20.14011.1003
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

thanks. Nice!
Here is the comparisson… it sucks… :frowning:
Same resolution. lower AA on desktop.

Desktop radeon 580RX: Time to regen viewport 100 times = 15.97 seconds. (6.26 FPS)
Tiny little laptop: Time to regen viewport 100 times = 8.59 seconds (11.FPS)

then there must be something wrong of course. the RX580 should be may times faster.
if you upload the file you tested with, I can check what result I getbwith my RX580.

1 Like

Here is the model. Sorry i cant compare by myself with other files, this is the only complex one i have.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eN8wfm2Ai18Cno7skx-vUe6oHpiTtpEZ

I have much better results. in the screenshot you can see that I used a floating viewport with a resolution of 1280x960. wireframe, shaded and arctic all have very high fps:

oh sorry! i left the detailed layer turned off! :confounded:
please, if its not much of o problem, turn on both layers named “edificios” the other one is nested inside

this is a benchmark that shows the graphic card it should be doing ok

now I get the following results:

in the evening I can test the same on another system with a GTX1060.
when you compare you have to make sure you use a floating viewport and the same resolution. maybe one of the systems uses a 4K / high dpi monitor? or windows scaling? that could influence the results as well i think.

1 Like

maybe one of the systems uses a 4K / high dpi monitor? or windows scaling? that could influence the results as well i think.

No, its on 1920 x 1080, not scaling i think.

regarding the raw compute power the GPU is quite capable and of course many times more powerful that any intel iGPU. but in the end this comes down to optimization. if most of the mcneel userbase has intel or nvidia GPUs then mcneel is probably focusing on optimizing for those and care less about the GPUs used by a minority.

So maybe a good option is to return the graphic card, and change it for a nvidia model like gtx 1060?, it is the same value right now. I would wait for your answer! thanks a lot! thanks a lot for trying on that one
But its strange how much diferent fps we have, as we both have this card. could be the processor ryzen 7, 1700?

let me first see what the results are on my system with the GTX1060, when I get home in the evening.

my system has the newer Ryzen 7 2700X, so our systems are very similar. maybe it has something to do with the lower vram of your card. yours has 4GB, mine has 8GB. and the mode is rather large. maybe you should first try to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. also reinstalling rhino? I don’t really know.

subjectively I have to say that the model behaves quite well on my system. the geometry looks to be imported to rhino from somewhere else, right? it is large but overall quite simple geometry. if you would rebuild this in rhino, the whole model would behave much better / be more efficient i think. I also see lots of missed opportunities where you could use blocks.

your ~6fps really seem to be too low for shaded display mode. even if I maximize my viewport (2560x1440 monitor), I get around 20fps in shaded. even if i turn on all the layers and max the viewport, I still get over 17fps.
also all the curves make the viewport a bit slower. if i select all curves with _SelCrv and _Hide then I go from 17 to 22 fps.

1 Like