Align one object to another, not 2 objects together?

Is it possible to align one object to another? As in, the 2nd object selected is static, and only the first object moves to align? This is how many 3d applications work for align, but I can’t seem to get Rhino to function this way. I suspect it might be a custom macro of sorts to copy the co-ordinates of the 2nd object, and apply them to the first object.

Thanks,
Carl

Try 2 or 3 pts. orient

(Pascal Golay) #3

Hi Carl - hmmm- yeah - if you pick just the one object you can align it anywhere, but you may need to use an object snap to hit the stationary object where you want it.

-Pascal

Can you expand on the Orient 2pts or 3pts please? I am always trying to align parts - screws to nuts, pipes to holes and so on. This can sometimes be frankly a pain but I get through but i know there must be an easier way.

Thanks

Dan

Opening this up again. Maybe @Helvetosaur knows of a script? I tried the Align tools in Maquetools but didn’t find answer there. Something as simple as telling one rectangle Crv A to align to the center of Rectangle Crv B.

Anyone?

(Pascal Golay) #6

Hi Alan - what’s wrong with Align? That is exactly what it should do…

-Pascal

@Alan_Farkas As Pascal said, Align has a lot of tools for this - it’s basically a 2D tool, so you need to do it in the correct view. Otherwise, for specific types of alignments, Orient works as a combined Move/Rotate/Scale(optional) tool, failing that, specific scripts can be created.

Rectangles - any closed planar polygon curve - should respond to the Center osnap.

–Mitch

Yes, understood – but there are times where things are messy, and just having a tool as mentioned would be very helpful.

(Pascal Golay) #9

Hi Alan - I am confused… you said:

That is handled by Align… where does the messy part come in? Do you have an example you could post?

-Pascal

I’m just saying sometimes I have a lot of geometry in my scene (i.e. the scene is messy), and don’t want to have to hide geo, etc – or there’s lots of geo in a single object, and it’s hard to find the center point to drag and snap…

There’s no problem. I know there are other ways to kill the cat. I’m just saying it would be a useful tool ,as the person before me suggested.

(Pascal Golay) #11

Hm - OK but… this is the missing link for me; what is the useful tool, exactly?
(BTW, Isolate/Unisolate is a great quick n easy way to temporarily simplify messy scenes.)

-Pascal