Adding texture to and distorting surfaces

Hi,
I am very new to Rhino (and very basic skills) I am an artist and I want to create a model which I can then produce bronzes using the lost wax process. I attach a photo of an Item run bronze that I want to produce a model off where I can change the words. TheItem is 12 cm in diameter and 2 cm thick.

Hello - no image shows up here - but, what, exactly, is your question?

-Pascal

Hi,

I am a artist new to Rhino, with little skill, i want to create a model for creating bronzes, but I need to add surface texture, such as leather, to the form and deform the model to make it look more organic, the piece is 12 cm in circumference and 2 cm thick at the centre curving to 2 mm at the edge. I need to add text also.

I attach a photo of a Bronze I made which I wish to replicate but with different text.

Doug

As far as i know you can’t make texture that way in Rhino5 (Mac) and export it as a physical model. But i can be wrong and maybe it have changes in Rhino 6-7.

I think this is what you are looking for, but again don’t think it worked on r5 mac.

Do you know a of a platform that can do this.

Doug

Blender is pretty good at converting Material Displacement to a Mesh.

But again, wait a bit. There might be other people here that can help get Rhino to do it. it’s not a function i really use on Rhino so its possible im looking at it wrong.

Hi Doug - see the level1 training material for an exercise that shows exactly this.
http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/6/training-level1/en-us/Default.htm#topics/08_modeling%20with%20solids.htm%3FTocPath%3D_____12

This is Illustrated on Windows Rhino in the lesson but the general workflow is the same.

-Pascal

Thanks, I’ll give that a go.

I haven’t used Blender, but as it’s free I’ll download. Thanks.