Adding Direct Shapes make Revit VERY slow

Hello,

Please see .gh file attached.

I am adding panels to Revit level by level. The elements in the ROOF level (only 38 closed breps) make Revit nearly impossible to work with.

@Japhy any thoughts on this one?

Thanks,

Dan
CLT.PANELS.TO.REVIT.gh (2.4 MB)

A few bad actors in that roof bunch.

List items

do the cuts have to be cylinders? that creates ellipses with the slanted roof, if those could be segmented they might come in better. Still looking at the geometry for possible improvements.

What’s happening is the revit importer is having to switch to modes to handle the more complex geometry ones. One thing that might help is to do those solid Boolean operations on a file with lower tolerances before bringing them into a higher tolerance file for direct shape import.

That might help on ones like item [15] where the edge cut created some artifacts.

In general its having to create some complex meshes

@Japhy

You’re a wizard. What’s the best way to ‘debug’ and find the bad actors?

I will test the exports to my follow on software see if polygonal representations of holes will work.

Is there a recommended document tolerance for working with RiR?

Dan

All i did was go through the list one by one with the Direct Shape set to Supersede. The bad actors were over a second to process.

Revit absolute tolerance is 0.0005233832795, the which was the default when opening a new rhino file (in feet) from Revit. A tolerance of .000523 (ft) will help bring in more objects without errors.

The Rhino tolerance will have a big affect on the creation of solid booleans as well – either creating more or less of the small edges that Revit can’t deal with depending on the geometry. If a piece of geometry is giving you fits you can take to a new file and try different tolerances on the boolean to try and get clean edges.