Add direct shape - Material Cut Pattern not displayed

Is there a way (or will there in the future) to display the cut pattern in sectioned Rhino generated solids?

I would prefer this to object or category overrides.
I observed the same issue when directly importing rhino geometry in Revit.

1 Like

It seams a limitation in DirecrShape itself in Revit.
A workaround may be using Family.New component to create a Family and then instantiate a type of that family using FamilyInstance.ByLocation.
To assign materials an other style properties like materials you will need to use FamilyElement.ByBrep.

2 Likes

Unbelivable!

2 Likes

I wonder how you managed to put it into Walls category?

@Czaja
Make sure the directshape element is categorized correctly for the element category that you want. Here is an example of a DirectShape sphere that is categorized as a wall and is being cut and hatched correctly

1 Like

Hi @eirannejad,
Can you do that sections with patterns without overriding graphics? Only based on assigned material? Or exactly reproduce what @guido did? I can’t do any of these things…

Kike proposed making it as a Family to overcome one limitation, but as shown on my screenshot I got Category error.

This is working for me RiR 2020
have a play

Edit:
Actually you are right @Czaja. New Family no longer accepts Walls as a category.
Gen models, mass, columns and furniture work fine but others return that error. Not sure if it’s the latest RiR release or Revit 2020 because I’ve updated both since.

@kike
Ideas?

FamilyInstance.ByLocation.gh (13.0 KB)

It works! cool!

That is not very useful in the scenario where you have a multi-layered Roof, for example. You need to be able to assign material to specific layers to distinguish between them.

Is it a limitation on the Direct Shape end and thus impossible for you guys to solve? Our design team is currently back-paddling because of the many small but unsolvable issues (they might as well just draw the detail ‘by hand’ as it were … )

1 Like

Yes as far as I have tested, the Direcshape geometry (although has the correct material with section graphics applied) assign to it, does not actually draw the section graphics correctly :confused:

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt answer, Ehsan. I wonder why that is - the surface pattern gets displayed and we are able to override the cut pattern through the visibility properties of the category. As you say, the material gets assigned correctly and the direct shape element has the capacity to display both surface and cut patterns.

Something must be broken in the direct shape implementation I suppose … to bad :confused: Thanks for the reply nonetheless!

1 Like

Hi Ehsan, just got back to testing RIR again and found this issue still persists. I’ve been researching and coincidentally I encountered the same problem again on creating Revit Lighting Fixture Families. It turns out that the developers of Revit deliberately categorized it’s geometry into two - Cuttable & Non-Cuttable; for some reason. Is it possible that you guys missed this when you coded the RIR Direct shape components? Something like a categorization parameter that was missed? Hopefully it’s included in the API .Just asking. :slight_smile:

Here are references :

There is a category property .IsCuttable in the API

1 Like

Hi Japhy, it’s interesting that the code says it’s cuttable. But in Revit, I think lighting fixtures are designed not to be cuttable. In any case, do you think that the reason Direct Shapes have no cut pattern is because it’s not set to Cuttable?

Direct Shapes are only cuttable at the Category Override Level.

So how long before we can have direct shapes that have cut patterns?

It’s one of the many revit api limitations in the autodesk development queue.

@Japhy Do you know what needs to be changed in Revit to make its DirectShapes cut patterns? Where in the Revit API internals directshape needs to be modified for this to work?

We are at the mercy of Autodesk on this one. Do note that even if made available in 2024/25 Rhino.Inside.Revit components still need to be backward compatible to 2018.

It looks like the framework is there but not implemented.

" Please note that unlike other elements, it is not yet possible to associate DirectShape elements in family definitions with visibility controls. It should apply to all geometric elements, but the operation is actually element based, and has not been enabled for DirectShapes yet. There doesn’t seem to be a Revit Ideas item filed for this functionality, although the team is already aware of the gap.

Happily, this can be worked around making use of the fact that visibility can be set for a family instance nested in the family definition document and creating a FamilyInstance containing the DirectShape inside the family document."

1 Like

Jeremy in the post above refers to “visibility controls” not being available for DirectShape, but I understand that putting them inside a family works? Where Revit stores “visibility controls” and how are they structured. Could they be tweaked to include DirectShapes?