Add Dashes/Hyphens in Inch-Fractional Dimensions

Hi there,

I’m looking for a way, if there is one, to set inch-fraction dimensions to display a hyphen between the inches and fraction. The default is a space, and seems to be unalterable.
Ex: 1-3/8" vs. 1 3/8"

My company’s president is dead-set on this standard (we tried to change it, but he vetoed his entire staff), and we are retyping dimensions manually to match it. Right now the company is using V6.

These dashes are driving us nuts! Please assist.

Hi Matthew, I do not see a way to do this, but let’s ask @mary or @wim - they have a better grasp of the dimensioning stuff than I do.
It might be possible as a poor second best, to script the edits you are making.

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi Matthew,

What application does this for you now?
AutoCAD does not offer the configuration of a separator such as a dash, between the whole inch and the partial inch as you have described. The dash in all CAD applications that I have worked on, always signal the value is going from feet to inches after the dash. I believe that is the standard, and of course, AutoCAD sets the standard. Stacked fraction that are new in Rhino 7 are a good way to show the fractional inch portion different than the whole inch.

If you know of an an application that does this, where is this option located?
And if this application writes a DWG/DXF file, how does AutoCAD import it?

All these considerations are important.
Thanks for any additional details you can share.

If this sounds good to any of you on this Forum, please chime in and let us know.
Attach a PDF that shows us how you use this option and what program supports it, too.

Thanks for your help.
Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

Thanks Mary. I hope there are some good replies because:

Which is aggravating.

I certainly don’t know of any software to do this.

It is definitely not standard, but my company’s founder has been doing it this way for 30 years since paper and pencil, and it became “company standard.”

I would even take a way to insert characters into dimensions, rather than just prefix/suffix. At least [dim]“-”[dim] wouldn’t need to be rewritten with every adjustment.