A New $4500 Workstation: Recommendations?

Hey Gang,

we need to specify machines to IT “in case we need to replace” . We all use a whole lot of Rhino, Maxwell render and Photoshop. Some Autocad and a little sketchup.

I am well aware of the cost savings of putting a computer together from pieces but that is not an option, we would need to but these machines as assembled workstations.

Would love recommendations from anyone who is keeping up on the Intel / Nvdia products. Thanks!

I had my last machine made by Puget Systems more than two years ago and it has preformed exactly as I wanted. I use Rhino, Brazil, Corel photo shop and many lesser programs.

The nice thing about this company is the staff will work with you to help give you what your after. My final machine cost 2200.00 and is well worth more than that.

Check them out https://www.pugetsystems.com/

All my best … Danny

1 Like

Also got my latest power workstation for Rhino work from Puget Systems one year ago and very happy with it - the service, quality, performance and the advice I got from them. Definitely check them out - can’t tell you what the best specs would be as for today, it’s changing too fast ; )

-j

2 Likes

what machine did you end up getting?

A year ago i got this as a primary workstation, I think it was under $4K. Rhino + large Photoshop files use mainly although works well with VrayRT CPU rendering. (using separate systems for heavier rendering purposes). Spec of the workstation below:

Preformatted textMotherboard : Asus Z170-A
Intel Core i7 6700K Quad Core 8MB 95W Overclocked to Between 4.5 and 4.7GHz
4x Crucial DDR4-2133 16GB
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB ACX 2.0+
Sound Card: Onboard Sound
Networking : Intel WiFi/Bluetooth 7260 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-E Adapter
Hard Drive : Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5inch SSD
CD / DVD : Asus 24x DVD-RW SATA (Black)
Case : Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
Power Supply : EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 Power Supply
CPU Cooling : Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler (Rev. 2)
Additional Cooling : Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound Upgrade

This is the set up I came to after talking to them if anyone is curious… this is really an example system for our IT people so they have something to order for my team in a pinch. I likely won’t actually be getting it anytime soon.

Certified: Puget Deluge

ASRock Z270M Extreme4 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2GHz Quad Core 8MB 91W CPU
2 x Crucial DDR4-2400 16GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card
Onboard Sound Sound Card
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5inch SSD Hard Drive
Additional Information: Primary drive.
Silverstone SG10 Puget Systems Edition Case
Seasonic X-650 650W Power Supply Power Supply
Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler (Rev. 2) CPU Cooling
Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound Upgrade Additional Cooling

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Operating System
Warranty: Lifetime Labor and Tech Support, 1 Year Parts Warranty

Subtotal: $2936.96
Shipping: unselected
Tax: $0.00
Total: $2936.96

• shipping
    Payment Received: $0.00
    Balance Due: $2936.96
  • shipping
1 Like

We are using a DELL Precision 3260 with similar (?) specs, but the display is very slow when rotating/moving the objects.
Files are about 500+ MB quite a lot of objects.

The hardware difference is mainly:

• GTX 1070 8GB
  • 16 GB RAM

I suppose it’s not the graphics card only that basically makes the PC unusable sometimes …

• Driver are up-to-date
  • no bad objects

Any idea?