A macro to help doing this?

I asked this question a while back. Here and on the plugin forum. I even wrote the SU plugin creator. (This is Profile Builder 3) Not much response. Basically, If I could get this plugin for Rhino I could abandon Sketchup. Anyway, now I asking if there is a way to do this with already existing commands. I guess what it’s doing is sweeping a profile along dynamically selected points. I have hundreds of profiles I created for SU (originally in .dwg) It would be way more tedious as I’d have to import the profile, rotate and position, extrude, and then terminate/trim. But if I could macro the process a bit, that would help.

Hello - please post an example of the inputs and the desired results.

-Pascal

Pascal, I’m not sure what exactly you mean. The desired results are what is visible at the end of the video. I’ve attached a .dwg that is an example of the wall and crown profile that I use in SU.
WALL-CROWN-PROFILES.dwg (93.6 KB) .

Hello - I’'d like one example 3dm file of all the inputs you are going to need, and the final result when done.

-Pascal

Does this work? I created it with Sweep1 and Cap. The two profile curves are included. The crown profile is a dwg import.

RH6_example.3dm (840.9 KB)

Hello - I see - I can see how to make a tool for this, maybe, but it is not a macro, I’d say. If I can I’ll see if I can make something work but it might be a bit of typing.

-Pascal

Appreciate any help to speed up the process. If you are able to create a tool, I would expect there are others who will find it useful.

Best.

Hello - for the orientation part, you can use a macro.

`! _OrientOnCrv Pause Pause Pause Copy=No Perpendicular ’

You may then want to Sweep1 using SubCrv to sweep part of the path.

@CalypsoArt - how’s this - quick and dirty - for now:

SweepStuff.py (2.2 KB)

To use the Python script use RunPythonScript, or a macro:

_-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double-quotes"

Select the path curve, the shape curves (note these need to be in the correct relationship to one another) and then set a sub curve on the path that is to be swept.

Guaranteed slightly tested.

Currently, you’ll need to pay attention to the direction (Analyze menu > Direction) of the path - if the sweep is oriented inside out, so to speak, then flip the path curve. I’ll try to cook up a smarter orienter.

Updated above - it should be more consistent now for closed planar paths.

-Pascal

2 Likes

requesting permission to use this phrase for any future examples I post:

Guaranteed slightly tested.

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Great. Once I have it down, this could speed up several of my processes. Thanks.