3d scans and meshing question

Hi,

I am in the process of learning the post-processing of 3d scans and been jumping between various programs: meshlab & rhino.

Today, I would like to clean a scan and attempt to send it to my printer. Now, I’m still on the up swing of the learning curve of rhino (definitely not intuitive for me). I’ve watched a bunch of the reverse engineering videos (Kyle Houchens videos are awesome) but all the scans examples are almost perfect. Unfortunately, this is not my reality and I’m trying to fix the scans as best as I can.

My workflow looks like this:

1. Scans are cleaned in meshlab then brought into Rhino 7.
  2. Open mesh- command ‘check’- scan is diagnosed as “bad mesh” with many intersecting each other. (Yes, it’s a complex body scan).

When I command ‘mesh repair’ the mesh becomes even more distorted (from 0 non manifold edges to 40 and so on)

When I use the Quad Mesh Repair - it loses lot’s of the details in the body. Now, searching online and through your videos, it is suggested to change the ‘adaptive size’ and ‘quad count’ but I’m not sure of the logic. If my scan has 220,000 vertices and I adjust count to 3000 it loses all the details. There is something I am missing, I don’t mind the tedious task of repairing aspects of the scanned parts but I’m not sure what would be the best method.

I’ll try a test rebuild of another scan of a hardware component that is less vertice/quad intensive than a body scan but are there general steps to take when repairing scans. I found a document “scan, cleanup and remodel” from 2006 and thought there might be more current documentation help somewhere I can reference.

Also, I am aware that there is a few plug-ins (mesh2surface) but it’s out of my budget (mesh2surface plug-in).

I found this discussion but I don’t how to run script (not a programmer) and not as experienced as most people here.

1 Like

@theoutside
Do you have a general tutorial for Reverse Engineering, that includes cleaning up a scan, then on through QuadRemesh, SubD, and conversion to NURBS?

Do you mean these?

Is there written document somewhere?

I work with scans all day, my advice would be to do the meshing in CloudCompare or Meshlab.
I prefer Cloudcompare, it is free and can handle huge scan files.
You need to use " Poisson Surface Reconstruction", all the details are here;
https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/index.php/Poisson_Surface_Reconstruction_(plugin)
Once you have your mesh, import it into Rhino and use the Quadremesh command, it works a treat !
Regards,
Mike Annear

1 Like