2Shapes for Rhino Rendering

Hi there Rhino Community!

I’m Xavier from the 2Shapes team.

We are searching for the render engines you use the most for jewelry models, to integrate them with 2Shapes for Rhino, our new jewelry plug-in.

You can check it out here: https://www.2shapes.com/rhino

I would love to know with what render software you work alongside Rhino.

Feel free to let us know by replying to this topic, your help is much appreciated!

2 Likes

Maverick Render is an amazing rendering engine and has been being upgraded constantly by Chema and his crew. Here’s a still from a personal project I am just working on.

5 Likes

hi,
I’m a vray old user.
the Next version is a rocket.

2 Likes

What about cycles!? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you check the videos you’ll see Raytraced (that is Cycles in Rhino) being used.

2 Likes

Hey, how about supplying a model or two, and let the community render it out with their renderer of choice? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @nathanletwory,

We already use Cycles on 2Shapes for Rhino, and the results are amazing! We achieve awesome renders in very little time: https://youtu.be/JK3r6K5ZgSE

There are only just some cases in which diamonds could be improved.

3 Likes

In what cases do you need diamonds to improve? Smalls which are grain set and appear dark? Large stones with few facets? Dealing with intersecting geometry?

Diamonds need dispersion for realism imo, but it wasn’t worth the wait with vray in matrix 9

1 Like

Yeah

Ignore geometry would be an interesting feature (as other software). We will save a lot of time doing booleans. Dispersion also will add realism to the renders :slight_smile:

The only way to archive a good definition of the gem facets is with a Backdrop Image. If the gem material would allow a specific Backdrop 360 image instead of the scene, you will have better control of the facets of the small and large gems.

1 Like

FYI Dispersion in V-Ray Next is a lot faster (don’t have exact numbers though)

1 Like

Hi Xavier, I’m still using the good old Flamingo nXt and Cycles. Pretty good for my purposes.
I’m curious to start using "Shapes
Thank you!!

c.gussini_dragonfly|353x500, 50%

3 Likes

Hey @xavier.2shapes,
I’ve recently seen that Bella Render for Rhino has been released - I haven’t used it yet, but it looks like it could be interesting as they seem to have worked quite a bit on transparent and refractive elements. And (perhaps I’m mistaken) but it looks like there’s the ability to have a material applied to an object which intersects another object, and have that material ignore the second object. Which would remove the need to boolean out all the gems for rendering.

1 Like

Interesting question @xavier.2shapes. I like V-Ray and for jewelry HDR lights studio and edge rendering could be very useful. I would’t like to render jewelry without the rendered edge effect anymore.

1 Like

I have installed 2Shapes, how do I activate dark mode?

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks!!!!!!

1 Like

Hi Aaron, I just read this, and want to clarify that we do not have such a feature currently (the nested priority system deals with intersecting dielectrics, e.g. for liquid in a glass), but your post gives us some interesting ideas. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying @jdhill - Vray has a legacy feature to ignore objects in secondary which was amazingly handy for jewellery renders, as jewellery typically has a LOT of transparent gems that would otherwise need booleaning out of the model. They did away with that feature, and now there is a workaround but it’s nowhere as easy as it used to be.
Not sure if it’s something that could be implemented in Bella, but it would be handy for scenarios such as that.

1 Like

Having had to redo the booleans on that ring model I rendered in the other thread, I feel your pain. :smile: We want Bella to be the top renderer for jewelry, and this is a big deal (and thank you for putting it on the radar), so we’ll definitely be looking into it.

3 Likes

Hi Jdhill
May I add something here, and I’m no rendering experts, but a long time handmade goldsmith + stone setter [in a none commercial way].

One problem I ofter see in jewellery renderings is that the gemstones mostly looks synthetic or treated, and rarely feels natural. and as far as I understand this, a way to deal with that will be to include physical [or material based or both] inclusion, + some shade variation for gems like Rubies.
So the render does need to have the ability to capture intersecting objects inside transparent gemstones.
An option to ignore is certainly an important feature. saving the need to [in some cases] of having to make one version of the model for printing and another one for rendering.

*another jewellery rendering challenge would be to find a way to render the inner light phenomena [can’t remember the correct English term] in gemstones like high-end star sapphire where the star is generated by microscopic rutile crystals arranged in hexagonal structure inside the translucent gemstone.
The only way I know now, of how to render such stone is to apply an image to the surface. but that looks fake.

thanks a lot
Akash

2 Likes