25 years of rhino

I downloaded the 1,1 beta when it first came available, and now it seems I´ve used it almost daily for 25 years. How many others are still around?

5 Likes

I started with 1.1 back in 2000. So 24 years for me. We replaced Cadkey with Rhino, company wide, in the spring of 2001.

2 Likes

Quite a lot of vintage users still around, I think :slight_smile: IIRC my very first (and only) Rhino course was actually on the Beta version (or it might have been the very first commercial release), and the instructors was a couple of the most digitally profficient students. Up to that point, we only had access to Form.Z, and Rhino was a :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: revolution to us; never looked back. Over the years I’ve come across/been using Solidworks, Inventor, NX/Unigraphics, Alias, but Rhino is still my favourite (and the only one I could ever afford a personal license for - all other were company owned).
-Jakob

1 Like

first time somebody recommended me Rhino was in 2004, i was still working in graphic design fully when a Swiss Architect known to the company had to use my computer for an hour to finish something. he probably was part of me going for Architecture later myself… i later showed him some design of a table which i did in c4d to which he then asked why i´m not using Rhino for such works, i believe i have seen Rhino pop up somewhere before being interested in software a lot, but it took until 2009 that i really started having to get into it through studying Architecture, though i was resisting at first quite a lot till i found that a beta for mac existed, from there on i went full in :wink: but sorry guys i missed a whole decade from the official release on.

Rhino Beta, 1997…

4 Likes

first time 2018 When Autodesk acquired Delcam. I had to move to Rhino

1 Like

After an introduction to CAD with R14 of AutoCAD as a student in '99, we moved onto Rhino v1.1 and I have enjoyed working with it ever since.
From freelancing as a graduate, to working with architects (who would be amazed when seeing what Rhino and GH could do), to designing and manufacturing all manner of products at every stage from CGI, 3D printing, tooling… Rhino has been my competitive edge and go-to tool.
I don’t think this would have been possible without the licencing and open approach of McNeel.

If it wasn’t for having to occasionally unfold sheet-metal parts, I doubt our studio would use anything else!

1 Like

My oldest .3dm is from 1999 and my oldest .gh from 2011.
I’ve used Rhino for 2/3 of my life and Gh for 1/3 … :see_no_evil:

After using Rhino all this years, I still discover new features and commands in some sub-menu… that was there since like 5+ years :rofl:

One of the good (and also “bad”) thing of Rhino is that, being it so feature-wide, you never feel the need to learn or try other software… at least for me.

4 Likes

Did a trial in High School drafting course in 2000 or '01.
Became a regular user in architecture school at the beginning of 2003 (defecting from the AutoCAD/ Microstation/FormZ standards that were being taught) which was Rhino 2, I believe.
So 20+ years here.

2 Likes

I had a beta license and bought Rhinoceros 1, when it came out.
Back then it was a replacement for Autocad.
Today - thanks to Grasshopper - it’s a strong (conceptual) design tool, before things become BIM’d in ArchiCad.

2 Likes

Rhino user since 1997 (beta).

1 Like

whichever version you could download in six hours over your dad’s compuserve on the second try sometime in 1999

1 Like

I got the demo version in 1998 and bought an educational license at a Rhino training class in 2000. I’ve used it professionally on and off with Autodesk products over the last 26 years and frequently for personal use.

1 Like

I was late to the party. Hopped on with rhino 4 with later version 5 upgrade included.
Version 5 still is my most used version.

i think it was october or november 2001 for me, almost there

Must have been around 1998 a work colleague telling me to check out a piece of software known as Rhino. It was a huge game changer and broadened my toolbox of skill.
Used v1, v2, v3, v4, v5 and now v7

1 Like

I started using it in 2004 i think, mostly for digitizing back then, more so for GH automations now.

In 1998 (still studying) my class downloaded and adopted Rhino 1.0 Beta as an alternative to Alias for transport design. And Vray for rendering. And our instructor even customized the toolbars to mimic Alias.
Anyways, still to this day, it is my weapon of choice. Fantastic tool to do 99% of all my 3D work. Wish it handled fillets better, but no other software comes close to it (for my use).

I started in 2000. 24 year learning curve! I came to appreciate my headmaster’s strong suggestion in 1961 that I should drop Latin at school and do mechanical drawing instead! Meant I had some experience of thinking in 3d …

Downloaded the beta version when it first appeared and experimented with it. Thought it had lots of promise and took to it easily since I was an AutoCad user. My industry embraced FormZ, so I took up that software in early 90s. Used FormZ almost exclusively until mid 2023, as it seemed to me that one was really withering on the vine and not capable of keeping up. I still have lots to learn however I find Rhino to be far more capable and many tasks are much simpler. Looking forward to this next chapter in 3D modeling!