Happy 25th anniversary Rhino! 🦏

Today, or around today is the 25th anniversary of Rhino! We’ve celebrated with a 3 day conference in Barcelona with lots of new and old colleagues and a McNeel employee gathering today.

Here’s to 25 more! :clinking_glasses:

64 Likes

Happy Birthday Rhino, my friend!

5 Likes

Happy birthday to Rhino and its team.

5 Likes

Aw, this brings back good memories of countless hours of pure bliss (and over night renderings just before deadlines at school :wink: ) Started Beta testing in '96 (I think, after reading about McNeel’s, unique at the time, open Beta in CGI (the Magazine)) and have never looked back.

Happy birthday and happy celebration!

33 Likes

I’ve downloaded my first beta version on a 56kb modem… So noisy!
Such a small installer with so much power. Incredible!
I started using it and never felt the need for else.
Happy Bday Rhino3D. :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

6 Likes

I can’t imagine how many emotions during endless days and nights went while establishing the origin of Rhino. Happy 25th Birthday to everyone involved in the development, as well as the great Rhino community! :birthday::tropical_drink::partying_face:

11 Likes

I have been a Rhino user since 1999, it has been a godsend for me, thank you Bob McNeel!

5 Likes

And it still runs…

26 Likes

13 Likes

This is missing in your box:

I wish they would make a new edition :laughing:

11 Likes

still on duty…

7 Likes

Yes definitely… All of mine were reduced to ashes in our house fire in 2014. However I still had one in my laptop bag with me off-site. Still using it today.

10 Likes

before somebody kills me for snitching here, i am wondering, are you actually using the beta there? how did that not expire?

2 Likes

I lied about the date, this works for a few minutes only.
Then fresh installed.
At next Rhino start this is detected, and it will never run again.
In any case this attempt has no practical use.
But hey, it runs on a current OS!

4 Likes

I would love to create some 3d models with Rhino 1, despite having lesser capabilities than modern Rhino versions… Sadly, current owners of Rhino 7 are not granted a free access to it. :slight_smile: As far as I know, Rhino 7 users could use legacy Rhino 6, but not Rhino 1.

3 Likes

Urgs… why that?
The future is interesting, not the past.

2 Likes

It will fit longer than the shirt.
In my case :wink:

1 Like

I agree, though sometimes it’s nice to turn back the hands of time.

I only started with Rhino 3, really interesting seeing those old Rhino 1 pictures, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

It’s more like a personal challenge to create something “seemingly impossible” with the limited tools of Rhino 1. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got my 1.0 running on Windows 11…

Stuff I did remember:
The grid is horribly loud with its default colors (but you could change them)
Shaded mode is not a working mode, you can only click a button to see a preview.

Funny stuff I didn’t remember…
No non-modal panels - Layers, Properties, etc. are all modal and have to be closed when working
BooleanUnion can only do two objects at a time
Dialogs are tabbed

But it crashes pretty fast, even in Windows 98 or XP compatibility mode.

18 Likes