1st time Very Slow Technical Display Mode Calculation

Hi All, I’ve brought this up on the Holomark topic in the past before but it is still unresolved and wondered if anyone else has had this problem or found a solution by now.
Basically I am unable to use any of the technical display modes, because of the extremely long calculation time when changing to any of these technical display modes. I normally just escape out of it in the end.
This is with even only a 3 or 4 solids it can take 2 min and the CPU runs at 100% all the time.
My Holomark technical viewmode test takes 3.5min with my i7 and all 8x threads at max for the full time.
For most other this test takes 1-2 seconds with much lesser CPUs.
I have tried disabling HT with no effect.
I have the New Vray 2 version.
I’m running an i7(3770), 16Gb ram, Dual monitors with Quadro6000 on one monitor and GTX550ti on the other.(Tried various cards for 2nd monitor with no change)
Windows 7-64, Rhinov5-64, Vray and T-Splines installed.
Note: It did this before I installed T-Splines too.
Any info would be appreciated. Michael VS

I’d be interested in seeing one of the simple files that takes a long time to get into technical modes. Can you post one?

I filed a feature request for saving the tech info in the 3dm a couple years ago… it’s an open item
http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-21282

Hello @BrianJ, I tried making a quick test scene and found something interesting.
The array of blocks on their own switched to Technical View instantly.
Then leaving the perspective viewport in Technical view I switched on the layer with the cone and then the sphere.
Adding the cone took 24 seconds to calculate (8x Threads @3.2Ghz @100%)
Adding the sphere - This I stopped after 4min (8x Threads @3.2Ghz @ 100%) with escape key.
My quick test scene:
Technical Test Scene01.3dm (374.5 KB)

FWIW, that just takes milliseconds here…

Thanks for the file. Technical mode calculates in a second or so here so I’m thinking this is specific to the set up of dual cards and dual monitors and possibly drivers being used and possibly the Nvidia control panel settings for the Quadro. Have you looked over this page to optimize the Quadro? http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/nvidiainfo

If those don’t make a difference, can you try just one monitor connected to one card at a time. The dual set up may be a factor for some reason.

Using Rhino5, i7 Windows 10 64, two Ati 7970 and single monitor,
The Display Piplen “Technical2D” is long to show if i move a CV control point.
It takes 5 or 10 seconds.

I suggest to move the function into a cortine ienumerator in a second cpu so I can continue working while the rendering is thinking what to draw.

I try to debug it switching multiples toggles (show hide) and what is making it slow is :
The Display Piplen “Technical2D”
or using
Display Mode “Pen”

Hi Michael, I have the same issue on a new system with a quite expensive GeForce RTX 3070. Did you found any solution? On an other computer of a friend the issue doesn’t exsist with the same file.

1 Like

Hello Henk. I am afraid that I have no real answer for you. For ages my technical mode took forever., and I tried everything, even changing bios settings etc. I was using Win7 before and a WIn10 update made no difference. Different Graphics cards made no difference (Quadro 6000, k2000, k4000, GTX1060 etc.). I am not sure when it came right because I stopped trying to use Technical mode, but all of a sudden I found that Technical mode was able to complete in a second. My only big changes I can think of were 1. Going from a 4x monitor setup to a single 58inch 4k monitor/screen. Quadro driver updates, and Win10 updates. Other than that I have been using the same Rhino v5 install,Vray, PC, ram, etc. although I have migrated my system to SSD inbetween too. For a GTX card I would also suggest using the NVidia GTX STUDIO drivers rather than the Game Ready driver versions.Hope that helps.

1 Like

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your answer. First I have been searching for changes in the configuration of the graphic card. Tried with one monitor in stead of two. etc.
I got a litlle desparate. Very often if you have problems with hardware the first thing you hear is, “did you update the drivers”. I updated a lot of drivers in the past, but never gave me any difference.
So finaly I updated the driver and that turned out to be the solution. Deinstalling the quadrodriver already gave the performance that I expected.
I tried both drivers you suggest. Both work now, as far as I can see I find no difference between them.
Thanks, and have a good day! Henk

Hello,
I was wondering, if anyone have found any solution what causes pen/TD/artistic view lag?
I am experiencing this problem since 6th version.
Rendered view or any shaded view without problem.
Two different computers, with quadro graphics, Win7/10. Now Quadro P1000. No matter if update/downgrade drivers.
Also trying different driver setup, different rhino OpenGL setup. Onley one monitor, nothing helps.

Hi -

Could you describe this lag? These display modes need a separate set of display meshes, and, depending on the model and your hardware, creating these can take time. Once they are created, there shouldn’t be any lag - but that will also depend on your model and system.
Is there a lag with a simple box in a new file?
-wim

If I remember correctly, there were no such lags in V5.

Yes, once it is finished, there is no lag until there is another complex part modeled to it. But when I restart rhino, the lag for the same part is back. Even with simple sphere there is significant lag.

Hi -

Yes, that is expected. The display meshes for the technical display modes are not saved in the file.
-wim

That I understand. But why there is so big difference in redraw speed between shading/render mode vs Pen/Technical mode? Both of the are using meshes. No?

Hi -

Yes.
FWIW, I don’t see a huge lag in the video that you posted but videos don’t usually capture the user experience. I’m not seeing a huge lag in technical display modes here, please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here.
-wim

Rhino 7 SR22 2022-9-12 (Rhino 7, 7.22.22255.05001, Git hash:master @ 196b1bc7dd093321e28dcc7a2bb8709a9bebe12d)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-09-12
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19044 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [100% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 6-1-2021 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P1000 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 12-6-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 441.66
> Integrated accelerated graphics device (shares primary device ports)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-6-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.4166
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.22.22255.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.22.22255.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.22.22255.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.22.22255.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.22.22255.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

9 posts were split to a new topic: ShowSelected takes a long time