Default path for saving scripts in Python editor

I keep my script library in a folder in my Dropbox. In the Python editor options, I have set that folder path, and eliminated the default path : ...\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\scripts

Despite that fact, when I do a Save or SaveAs for the first time in a session, it reverts to that folder, like it was hard coded somewhere… Can you please fix?

Thanks, --Mitch

2 Likes

I´ve been suffering from this problem too and finally put multiple links inside this folder pointing to various pathes. My vote would be to define a custom default >save< folder definable in the python options dialog which should be used when saving unsaved scripts. This should be seperated from the Module Search Paths folders.

c.

I think this is a useful proposition. It might even just be the first item in that list (assuming that the list order becomes editable). What’s your opinion, @Alain ?

Giulio

Giulio Piacentino
for Robert McNeel & Associates
giulio@mcneel.com

1 Like

I agree we should fix that.

Could using the 1st path in the “Module Search Paths” box maybe confuse users as to what those paths represent?

The path of the last file saved is remembered for the remainder of the session so if you save an untitled file it only defaults to the …scripts directory if you haven’t saved anything yet. How about if we just remember the last saved path between Rhino sessions? Would that work?

Cheers,
Alain

That seems like the easiest first route to try. If that doesn’t work for people, we can add a default save folder to the ui like clement suggested.

I would not choose to use the first directory in the search paths as the default save directory. That can be messed up way too easily.

Yeah, that idea is flawed.

There was however the recurring wish to have the possibility to reorganize the order of those paths with some UI. I was probably wrongly trying to make the two things into one.

Giulio

Giulio Piacentino
for Robert McNeel & Associates
giulio@mcneel.com