Can no longer "Star" a topic

@sam @discourse - With the latest Discourse update, we seemed to have lost the ability to “star” a topic. I found this feature very useful to track topics. Is this feature still around? Am I missing something? :wink:

Thanks,

– Dale

1 Like

I think the red star has been superseded by a grey ‘bookmark’.

They look like they’ve been sponsored by Philip Morris :wink:

Yes, we combined the star and bookmark concepts to simplify things a bit.

On the topic list, you’ll now notice a bookmark indicator next to any topic where you have bookmarked any post in that topic.

Note, you can “bookmark” a topic directly from the topic lists by hitting j highlighting the topic you want and then hitting b

We also provide an optional bookmark top level tab that @stevebaer can enable if he see fit.

Clicking on the bookmark icon will take you to the first bookmarked post.

All old stars were migrated to bookmarks.

Then you should move the bookmark icon next to the topic name, as it makes no sense to have a bookmark icon for every comment on the topic, as “unbookmarking” it if the thread becomes long and the bookmark is not on the original comment would require us to scroll through the thread to find the bookmark.

You can click on the bookmark from the topic list and it will jump you to the post you bookmarked.

(It is kind of a small click target but should be no problem on a device with a mouse.)

I tried it, but it acted a bit strange when I did this:

I tried bookmarking 2 comments in a topic, then I unbookmarked the first, and then I tried the link as you descrived and it went to the initial (now unbooked) bookmark.

That sounds like a bug, if you refresh the page does the issue persist?

Yes, I just tried it here in this thread, and it persists, on Crome.

1 Like

Thanks, I will get it fixed first thing next week.

Ok, but I am not done yet :smile:
The bottom bookmark icon is turned on when a comment is bookmarked, and if I turn the bottom OFF then I expect ALL bookmarks in the topic to be cleared. But they are not. I think it should, but… I see no point in being able to bookmark a topic and also bookmark the comments, so I would have removed the ability to bookmark the comments all together.

And I would like to bookmark a topic with out having to open it. That was one of the things I like with the stars.

Hope it makes sense.

1 Like

Ouch, another bug, will also get the clearing bookmarks bug fixes.

As to bookmarking from the list… try the keyboard shortcuts … j to select the topic … b to toggle bookmark.

I cleaned up the bookmarking stuff today (already deployed here) feel free to try it out. It works way better now.

2 Likes