Alternative ways to initiate default.Popup

Are there any alternative ways to initiate the default.Popup window? I use multiple programs in my workflow and I use the middle mouse button to navigate/manipulate the viewport in each so I’ve set up Mac Rhino the same way. On Windows Rhino it can be initiated via the click and hold delay mechanism so you get both the viewport manipulation and the default.Popup via the same mouse button.

Ideally I’d like the flexibility of being able to initiate the default.Popup in the same manner as Windows but it would also be good if it could be initiated via a keyboard shortcut or via a modifier key/mouse button combination.

Cheers,

jm

Hi jm- It looks like PopUpToolbar is not in the Mac version yet- that’s how you’d work around this in Windows.

-Pascal

I thought as much. I searched high & low in the commands preference to no avail.

Cheers,

jm

The following Mac-only command will display the PopUp tool palette under the cursor:

_ShowToolPalette _ToolPalette=Popup _UnderCursor=YES _Enter

You can change PopUp to any other tool palette name if you wish. You can attach this to a mouse button with Rhinoceros > Preferences > Mouse > Buttons. Use Rhinoceros > Commands and use the Keyboard Shortcuts tab if you want to attach a keyboard shortcut.

2 Likes

Many thanks for this Marlin. I’ll give it a test after the weekend and see how it works for me. Also, I noticed your other response to my general thoughts on the Mac UX. I’ll reply to this on Monday too.

Cheers,

jm

Hi Marlin.

the script worked perfectly until I downloaded the latest release of Rhino Software information…

Now the middle mouse popup brings up a menu with text and icons again (a long list which needs to be scrolled through- please see attached image). Is there any workaround?

Cheers,
Anthony

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 WIP (5A706)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.10.1 (Build 14B25)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro8,2
Processor: Intel Core i7-2675QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Screen size: 1920 x 1080
Displays: Color LCD (147dpi 1x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Dell: Dell USB Optical Mouse
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver

Bluetooth devices
Apple: Apple Wireless Keyboard

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-1.28.29
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: Medium

Yep, it’s a bug and already fixed. The fix will be in the next WIP.

does this work with the current public release of rhino 6 for mac???

does the following not work?

rhino preferences / mouse / Middle Mouse Button - Check “Popup this Toolbar:” set to Tools or Standard or Popup

or did i misunderstand?

I can’t get the popup menu in rhino 6 for mac to come up using the trackpad. I tried configuring better touch tool to have a three finger click be the middle button, and in rhino i turned on the middle button to bring up the popup menu, but it doesn’t seem to be working…

any way to do popup with a trackpad on a macbook pro?

thanks,
r

ah, got it!

now… is there any way to have the menu be of icons instead of text?

thanks so much!
r