Workspace Editor

Hi

I have edited the default workspace in Rhino 5.0 and would like to save it as a a new rui file but when I select the Save As option in the drop down menu all I get is the same menu as when I was editing the menu structure. This is also the same if I select Save As Template, in fact if I select any of those options on that menu I get the same dialogue box.

Am I missing something or is this a bug.

Roger

@pascal or @johnm can you help here? I’m not an expert at the workspace editor.

Simply close the workspace editor (button in the lower right hand corner) and then select File > Save from the Toolbar Layout editor

The File>Save in the workspace editor is there for you to control what is displayed in the File Menu

Am I the only one utterly confused by the Russian dolls Mayhem that is the Workspace management in Rhino ?

@osuire whats confusing you? I’m not sure what part of Rhino 8 development you have followed.

Hi Gijs, in all the Rhino-using offices I have worked in, custom RUIs are a jumbled mess of redundent toolbars and groups, even in places where there are smart folks trying their best to put things straight.
In the Rhino Options / Toolbar interface, there is no visual or UI-based way of sorting groups from toolbars, which should be two clearly defined, separate and identifiable hierarchical levels.

There is a blur between these two concepts, as seen in the dreaded “Workspace editor” since Toolbars also exist as groups.

Now if you want to delete many items, which is often the case since people tend to just make their RUI more tangled with time, well, you’re out of luck. You’re good to do it painstakingly one by one.

Moreover, RUIs can also stack on top of each other, making it yet another hierarchical level.

In theory, it’s great to have flexibility for organizing UI elements, but since the tools to manage them are flawed and obscure, the result is mis-understanding leading to complete chaos.

The current version is 7, right ?
When I open the Option in Rhino V8 WIP, I see you guys just took out the Toolbar management.
That’s a radical way of solving the issue, indeed !
No management, so : no management problem :slight_smile:

@osuire The new approach is as following:

There are the default tools, which are not tied to a specific RUI file. This default part of the tools is protected, so that user can’t (accidentally) mess with it. Custom RUI files can still be loaded through Options > Appearance > Toolbars (there are still a couple of important bugs to fix with that new system) and you can still adjust your Rhino to see no default toolbars at all, if that is what you want.

Rhino 8 will no longer reset or move around UI, plus you can actually save setups. Panels and toolbars you float or dock are in a container, compare this with HTML where you store elements in a DIV, this container is that DIV. This means those containers are separate UI entities that you can move around and dock. The collection of docked and floating containers forms a Window Layout that can be saved.
Finally, Toolbars and Panels can be shown in multiple containers at once.

If you end up messing it all, Rhino has now multiple reset options through the _Reset command.

hth

1 Like

Hi Gijs,

This sounds promissing, but it begs for an overview video.
Is there something like that ?

not yet, but a how to is in the making

1 Like

Yeah, I think you should START with quick and dirty videos explaining the general idea and showing stuff dynamicaly instead of going in-detail with the online help pages, or answering all the lost souls on the forum who try to figure it out on their own…

2 Likes