Workflow demo video or 3dm before creating refined surfaces with XNurbs?

Greeting before question

to XNurbs

@XNurbs Thank you so much for publishing this awesome plugin.
It’s hard to even imagine how much knowledge it takes to create such a masterpiece, or how good of an engineer you are!
I would like to express my sincere gratitude for the overwhelmingly excellent product.
Since I started using this plugin, I’ve had more and more fun using Rhino.
This plugin is sure to make a lot of Rhino users happy.

to Vladimir_Aleksic

I would also like to thank @Vladimir_Aleksic for providing the tutorial.
The mouse tutorial gave me a clear understanding of Boundary / Internal Constraint.
What’s more, I was very surprised by the beauty of the Jet Ski Hull and Bumper. Using MatchSrf in Bumper tutorial around 07:47 is also helpful.

Summary of question

@XNurbs I was wondering if it would be possible for you to provide demo video or step-by-step 3dm file tutorial for the recommended workflow.

Terminology: “recommended workflow”

In my post, I call the paragraph below as the recommended workflow.

How to use XNurbs efficiently: First use XNurbs with a small number of constraints for the rapid concept design, i.e.,
form finding or generating a draft surface (For the rapid concept design, generally you should unselect the “Satisfy Precision Requirements” option.).
Then extract curves from the draft or concept surface, edit the curves and/or split the surface into two or more patches,
and run XNurbs again to generate the refined result.

The paragraph above is from XNurbs chm help file.

The reason I’m asking

In my understanding, the recommended workflow can be divided into the following four processes

1. create Draft Curves
  2. create Draft Surfaces from Draft Curves with XNurbs
  3. create Refined Curves from Draft Surfaces
  4. create Refined Surfaces from Refined Curves with XNurbs

In the tutorial videos currently provided, I think that only step 4 of the above steps are presented and there are no demo about the step 1, 2 and 3.
Specifically, I think the curves are already Refined Curves for creating Refined surfaces at the start of the tutorial like the images below. There are no creating or editing curve throughout videos.

A demo video or a step-by-step 3dm file tutorial of the recommended workflow would be helpful to better understand it.
This is the reason why I create this topic.

What I’ve already tried

I created a mouse using the XNurbs. (I agree that a better designer will make a better sample than mine.)
These are the step-by-step 3dm file. I separate it into 3 files because of size limitation of this site.

1. mouse by onionmk2 --1.3dm (4.0 MB)
  2. mouse by onionmk2 --2.3dm (12.8 MB)
  3. mouse by onionmk2 --3.3dm (8.8 MB)

One Dot indicates one step.
The objects in each step are colored in red.

_Curve, _Project, _BlendCrv, Intersect and _SubCrv are also used because I couldn’t build it only with _ExtractIsocurve.
I don’t have confidence if the way I created this mouse is following the recommended workflow.

Detail of question

In order to understand this workflow with concrete examples, I was wondering if it would be possible for you to provide any(not all) of the following three.

1. Would you provide one of bumper or jet-ski or mouse demo or any other video including all 4 steps?
  2. Would you provide step-by-step 3dm file tutorial including all 4 steps?
  3. The recommended workflow is something like my 3dm mouse file? If not, would you tell me what’s the difference between my 3dm and the recommended workflow?

4 steps mean

1. draft curves
  2. draft surface from curve
  3. refined curve from draft surface
  4. refined surface from refined curve.

closing

Again, thank you so much for providing such a great plugin.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely yours

Thanks for your compliment. You created very good examples to demo the workflow.

The recommended workflow is used for rapid concept design or form finding. @Vladimir_Aleksic should be able to produce such a demo video, but not sure if he has the time? We know some designers use xNURBS for rapid concept design or form finding and they can produce such a demo video. (This is why xNURBS supports the command history, which is very helpful for demonstrating the workflow).

After V4.0, we will try to provide a demo video for rapid concept design or form finding.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

Yes. According to forum posts, as you say, some great designers like @Vladimir_Aleksic and @norbert_geelen and others seem to adopt the XNurbs workflow and they seem to be very comfortable with it.

If I understand correctly, the XNurbs workflow is very different from the traditional Nurbs modeling workflow which emphasizes “sculpting control points”.
So, especially in my case, I anticipate that the transition to this workflow will require a certain amount of learning time.
However, I’m confident that the learning process will be a fun and exciting one.

I’m very happy to hear that you’re developing Version 4.0 and consider offering learning resources.
I’m really looking forward to the time when I can use those learning resources to better understand and I can unleash the true power of the XNurbs.

Again, thank you very much.