Wish: Set point at current gumball location

I think it would be very useful to be able to set a point at the current gumball location. This could be implemented in one (or even both) of the following ways:

1.) In the white gumball handle submenu add an entry “Set point at current location”
2.) When a gumball is active _Point command shows “Location of point object:” like it does now, but with a clickable option “(Gumball)” added.

Hope you like this idea. It is very easy to implement while being useful for every user, since it would simplify and speed up some standard tasks. So I could imagine people use it several times a day and save quite some time.

Therefore I would wish it to be implemented in Rhino 7 and Rhino 8.

1 Like

Hi Ore - in case it helps for now, here is a macro that does that

! _SetRedrawOff _CPlane _Gumball _Point 0 _CPlane _Undo _SetRedrawOn

-Pascal

5 Likes

What’s that for?

Hi Martin - shutting off drawing hides the 2 changes in the cplane, so the whole thing looks cleaner on screen and maybe goes microscopically faster. Just remember to turn it on again… =)

-Pascal

1 Like

@pascal Hi Pascal, thanks for the macro - it works like a charm!

After having played around with your macro for a while I am now even more convinced that this feature is extremely useful. Especially when using sub-selections (SHIFT-CTRL) it is so convinient to quickly mark the selection center or as a quick replacement for the somewhat hidden “between” function.

Would you agree it is useful “enough” to implement it permanently in Rhino7 and/or Rhino8? I mean - your macro underlines that it is defintely “very easy to implement”.

(Now that I have your solution, I am “fighting” for the community here. That’s why I did not mark your answer as the solution yet.)

Oliver

1 Like

I’ve wanted this for a long time - thanks Pascal!

Hi Oliver - I guess if the whole job is to place a point at the gumball origin it might be fairly straightforward - my guess, only - to implement, perhaps as a nestable ‘MarkGumballOrigin’ command, or on the Gumball context menu. Since the gumball is disabled, disappears, when a command (like Point) is run, as things are now it could not be used in a running command, I guess it would have to be its own gumball-related thing.

I have not looked hard but I do not think this would be scriptable- it might, if one could get hold of the last gumball, but running the script - a command, RunPythonScript, most likely interrupts the gumball as any other command.

-Pascal

@pascal
I think the best (most straightforward / most accessible) would be an entry in the gumball context menu (white handle). Anything else would be nice of course - but only additionally to the context menu.

This nicely underlines my guess that this feature is a good idea - not only for me. :slight_smile:

It would be great if you could initiate this feature be implemented.

Don’t know why, but replying to a post does not work correctly. No matter what I do, the reply always comes to the one which I quoted, not to the one which I hit reply on.

@pascal Unfortunately I did not get further feedback regarding this wish/feature request. May I ask whether you are considering to integrate this in Rhino8?