WISH: History panel with adjustable settings! PLEASE :)

Hi guys, this has been a looooong standing wish for me.
And seems like such a low hanging fruit to propel Rhino’s history to the next level.

When ever I use history I often wish to adjust the input settings. Like when I have offset of a curve, I would like to adjus the distance (Using it for form finding (or “design” if you like)) or the side. Or when I use polar array I would like to move the array, but the center is stuck to the initial position.

It would really make sense to start working on a panel for this so when we Select the child (one of the children) we could alter stuff there.

Please consider working on this it would make designing with history much better.

2 Likes

Hi Jorgen - the Edit option on BlendSrf, BlendCrv are along these lines - is that sort of where you’re headed with the request?

-Pascal

Do you mean the popup that shows up when blendcrv is started, or are you talking about a post edit mode that I don’t know about?

Anyway, what I envision is a floating panel kind of like the box edit panel where the parameters are listed and adjustable with live update and with an apply and a cancel button.

(Sorry, new laptop here, so I don’t have photoshop installed yet ;))

1 Like

Hi Jorgen, there’s an Edit option on BlendCrv/Srf if has been used with History. Brings back the dialog…

-Pascal

HAH… that was a well hidden gem… :expressionless:
Took a few minutes to even find it, after looking for commands, icons and typing different stuff. It was first when I made a new blend curve that I notices “edit” as an option when creating a tool. (To mee that is quite unlike all other workflows in Rhino…)
(edit: if you can add “edit” as a command, then this can be a universal history content input popup gateway, but still the wish is a floating panel for easy access)

None the less, yes, in many ways that is what I envision. When clicking the curve (result, child, what ever you want to call it) this gui should pop up in the history panel. With options to also swap to other input curves (for this tool that is).

I think this should start small, with the most basic tools, like loft, array, sweep2, and then develop into all other tools. Like when I have a history enable loft I would like to be able to post adjust the “rebuild” and “Style” with out having to delete the result and then rerun Loft and remember to enable history each time I want to test something out.

HTH! :slight_smile:

that’s a little obscure don’t you think?

man this would be so cool. i never mess with history because of the limitations you mention.

or add or remove curves. or change the order… yep… I know. So, History was and mostly is strictly a ‘edit input objects to change the output’ thing but as I understand it the plumbing is there for the sort of thing you see in Blend*… I just do not know how big a deal it is to implement, even if I have that right.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
Is it never to become a reality to be able to move things and have history updated? Like for array etc. we complained about this years ago can’t this happen by now? It’s really self defeating to not be able to move objects with history. Like array, mirror etc.
Sorry for the highjack but this is one of my strongest dislikes if McNeel could only do this. Already sent in ideas on this but these things never seem to matter to developers.
RM

1 Like

Hi @pascal how can we get any traction on this?
Being able to adjust simple settings like the mirror plane, a curves extrusion distance etc would be so helpful!

In many situations it is faster and better to use history than Grasshopper, but it is limited with out the ability to adjust the settings.

Please, pretty pretty please! Maybe this is something @Joshua_Kennedy has some insight in since you are working on the constraint driven stuff?

Hei Jørgen -

That’s possible with history in Rhino 8.

Constraints will let you do that.
-wim

Sweet!
I need to check out V8 more…

OK, so I can extrude a curve to a brep and then adjust the distance there, but I would like to see this within history too, or have history and constraints combined seamlessly. So everything that’s driven is combined in one intuitive environment.

I’ll check it out.