Wish: export FBX(OBJ?...) based on render mesh

Hi,

at the moment I export a big model as FBX and I wonder why I can’t select to export the mesh data based on the current render mesh. This mesh is created, so why not use it?

-Micha

You could ExtractRenderMesh for the desired objects, and then Export the extracted mesh.

Thank you. Good idea for a workaround.

I hope a simple direct option is possible for the long run.

1 Like

Five years later - still there is no option to use the current display mesh for the export. My scene contain a lot of blocks, so it’s not simple to extract them manually.

Could we get the little feature now please?

Hi Micha -

I can put a feature request on the list now.
Which are the formats that this should be available for? FBX and OBJ?

When exporting a file to mesh, you are currently presented with a meshing parameters dialog. I imagine that you would have an option bullet list where you’d either pick “Extract display meshes” (which, possibly (?) would be the default), or “Create custom meshes” which would then enable the sliders that are currently available. Does that sound like the workflow you are imagining?

-wim

2 Likes

FBX, OBJ, SKP could be the formats in which it is needed. I think since some scenes contain mixed data, the meshing options just need an additional flag option like “Prefer display meshes”.

Which data should not use the display meshes in that case?

Right, “use display mesh” is all we need.