[WISH] Display Rhino and Grasshopper file version

wish
wip
rhinowip

Hi everyone,

I don’t know if I’m the only one, but is been a nightmare to introduce the WIP in my daily workflow having to control perfectly which files were created on each version. I know that if you try to open with an earlier version of RH RH6 files will not open but could be easier to be able to detect that before opening (and even for file organisation purposes).

Thanks.
Cheers.

(Dale Fugier) #2

Hi Angel,

The attached plug-in for Rhino 5 prints the Rhino file version number to the command line when you open a file.

Is this what you are looking for?

– Dale

RhinoFileVersion.zip (21.8 KB)

Hi @dale,

Not really, what I want is a way of detecting prior to the file is loaded in Rhino, what version it is, for instance looking at the Type column in windows explorer, etc. I don’t know if there is any way for you to embed the Rhino version into the files so we can see without opening them in rhino.

In the capture, there is one file that was created with RH WIP, can you tell me which one?

I hope that I explained myself well.

Thanks for the fast reply and the interest in the wish.
Cheers.

(Dale Fugier) #4

Hi @Angel,

Yes, the extra information was helpful.[quote=“Angel, post:3, topic:44832”]

I don’t know if there is any way for you to embed the Rhino version into the files so we can see without opening them in rhino.
[/quote]

This information is embedded in 3dm files. The ‘trick’ will be to get Windows Explorer to show it to on some reasonable way.

Explorer’s “Type” column only shows type of file - basically a descriptive name for the file extension. So this isn’t going to work.

Windows files can have Properties. To view, right-click on any file and pick Properties > Details. It may be possible to provide some additional data here. If so, you could view by turning on additional columns in Explorer’s Details view.

Another approach would be to provide a Shell Extension (aka plug-in) for Explorer. Rhino already installs a shell extension which lets you view a 3dm file’s thumbnail preview. Perhaps we can just extend this to show you the version of Rhino that wrote the file.

Thoughts?

– Dale

(Wim Dekeyser) #5

That would be nice, yes!

The area where you are showing this in that picture currently shows the notes that are in the file. Would it be possible to overlay it on the thumbnail?

It doesn’t have to be quite so verbose - one can start wondering if “created by” means something else than “last modified by”. Perhaps just “5.12”?

Hi @dale,

Thanks for the reply. From the options commented above I would definitely prefer one option integrated in the columns that explorer can show. Building it over plugins or as an overlay over the small capture could bring problems later. Plain text over any field in the details will work.

There are several candidates for that, for instance: “File version”, “Kind”, “Label”,…

Cheers.

(Dale Fugier) #7

@wim

Rhino’s 3dm file format does not change between service releases. So I don’t know why you’d display this.

– Dale

(Dale Fugier) #8

Hi @Angel,

I’ve added your request to the pile.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-39743

– Dale

(Wim Dekeyser) #9

It’d save me from running Audit3dm on files from this discussion group all the time… Never mind.