Wish: Color coded layers

Yes, please! It is soo helpful and Please integrate Layer transparency sliders for geometrical visibility…

1 Like

Here is an Exempel how it Could Look like👀 51231EB9-FACB-4366-BFE2-3E51A5BD3292-446-0000006B32986895

2 Likes

So, @pascal

what do you think. did you give up on this one?

if the layer has nested layers, the indented space takes on the color of the parent. with this way nested layers show color grouping without needing the extra options all you need is one manual color switch.

3 Likes

Hello - what is giving up? I made a bug track item for the developer, with reference to this thread…

-Pascal

2 Likes

Awsome, thanks so much Pascal. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Hey Pascal,

if its not too much to ask can you please add this image to the youtrack. (i really think its a better solution)
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-43252

1 Like

This would be SOOOO USEFUL.

sorry i had so much work things to do… thank’s for the feedback. the design look’s a little bit overloaded in your screenshot. Keep it more simple… more the together belonging colorfamilys with easy handy smooth icons. When layers are off - they could be colored in grey 2019-10-04%2022_17_14-Window

1 Like

2019-10-04%2022_17_15-Window

1 Like

I was starting my own thread, but then found this one.

How about this approach?

Conditional formatting for the layers dialog. I realize this is super nerdy, but as every year the amount of work that I do in 3D increase, I am finding it increasingly tiresome to scroll through lists of layers. I (of course) already make heavy use of sub-layers, but here are some rules I would use:

• if _layername starts with “X**” set background_color to grey (only colors individual layer)

• if _top_level_layername starts with “B**” set layer_background_color to “light blue” (would have the effect of coloring all sub-layers with the same background)

• if _layername contains “TODO” set background_color to “red”

you get the idea…

How crazy would that be to implement? Could this be done with a plugin? If we had the ability, via a script, to set the background color of a layer all we would need is a way to register a call-back that runs the rules again once layer-name related event gets triggered and a plugin would be reasonably easy to implement, and it avoids having McNeel set one behavior for all of us - we can customize our own environment…?

1 Like

Nice thread, not sure what rhino 8 WIP has currently with this, but what I do is use alt-codes to help visually. ex: ▬Layer Name▬
Some of my favorites:
█ (alt+987)
▬ (alt+22)
• (alt+7)
» (alt+0187)

more:
https://www.alt-codes.net/

2 Likes

I would also very much appreciate this feature, it would be great! As somebody had described, for example if its similar to what adobe has in photoshop… Is it planned to be implemented in rhino 8? Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi Oto -

No, RH-43252 is currently on the “Future” list.
-wim

Thanks for info :slight_smile: I and several my colleagues would really appreciate this feature.

2 Likes