WIP Nissan Skyline

33 Likes

well done!!

1 Like

nice! and what is the purpose?..

Thanks a lot Kyle,
Have you tried XNurbs ? It s a pretty good plugin that complements well Rhino I think
Take care

Alex

Thanks Mikey, quarantine was the cause of this
Cheers

1 Like

Pascal has been using it, I haven’t dipped my toes yet- Where are you finding xnurbs to be the most useful?

Keep up the always awesome work!
( i restored and currently own a 71 240z, so I’m a datsun fan as well)

1 Like

Hey Kyle,

I find XNurbs particulary good when dealing with more than 4 edges. 5, 6, 7 and even more allows me to create nice, clean surfaces and I find it many times superior to the Patch function. I wouldn’ t say I would discard Patch as I see it work better in certain situations. But XNurbs is more than a patch function, It can be a substitute to sweep 2 rails, curve network as well. Transitions are nice and clean. it works in G0, G1 and G2 and that s about it. But that s good enough in many cases. They re working hard it seems on bringing improvements to the plugin as well, I hope this tool will have a brighter future with Rhino compared to VSR,
Cheers and looking forward to your excellent videos on Rhino V7.

Alex

3 Likes

11 Likes

It’s a very nice car!

I learned how to use Rhino in your Udemy course and I know you are great teacher.
I looked your facebook post that you plan to make a tutorial on car surfacing for this year.
I’m really looking forward to the course on creating such a great car using XNurbs.

1 Like

Completed work. Thank you all and have a great one.

13 Likes

Delicious!! Few areas have irregularities and controversial patch layout decisions but A Class wasn’t a goal I assume plus V-Ray makes everything look better as always, so well done sir : )

1 Like

Do you do class A work with Rhino? If so I’d be interested in picking your brain a bit as to how to make it easier/ better to do class A stuff in rhino-

I believe that it’s possible in theory but haven’t had an access to V6 or V7 to check if it so, for now running our good old fashioned V5 and it’s not even close to what one calls an A Class -surf :frowning:

1 Like

First of all this is really great work! But as Mikey said its not class A. And why should it be? I don‘t think this model is going to be used for production. Any Software capable of doing Bezier/Nurbs surfaces can output class A in theory, practically its a pain in Rhino. True Class A car models are not created within 3 days but rather within 3 to 9 months by dozens of engineers

2 Likes

In addition to my recent post:
There is a even a big misconception about class A in the automotive industry itself. Some car designer even create design models under class A principles, some even can do this in 3 days. They call their work class A. They even think their surfaces are used for the production model later on to a certain extent. But this is actually really ignorant and arrogant. In reality all production models are completely remodeled from the design sketch, a clay model or a 3d design model. Designer could also create polygon models or non class A surface models much quicker if they would accept this truth. What a designer usually does not understand is the technical and functional component a production model must fulfill. This is also whats making the modeling process so difficult and time consuming.

3 Likes

Hi all,

My intentions were never to strive for a production quality object. I come from the aerospace world and it s the same design process we go through as in the automotive. The initial concepts go through many departments, such as aerodynamics , Masterlines, structures etc… it takes months and months of work to have a wind tunnel model ready and it costs close to a million dollars just for that and then even more time and money for a full scale test flight vehicle produced.
I m just the guy who does pretty pictures as an initial concept. Usually my role consists in developing ideas, concepts in a very short amount of time and then design and build mockups if I need to ( CNC, rapid prototyping ). Rhino is my preferred tool since I have to work also with engineers who only use Catia ( as I do myself ) . But for what they ask me to deliver Rhino is my tool of choice. So the bottom line is use whatever works for you and your customers . If they re happy and I m happy then perfect.

Cheers all and thank you for your comments and feedback, I truly appreciate it.
It was a fun project .

Alexandre

10 Likes

yep, I’m with you on that…my question is where does rhino need to improve to be more useful in a “real” class A environment.

yes, definitely! Rhino has to improve if we talk about class A, not only in tools but also in analysis. On the other side this is a niche market, and other softwares are already do much better here. So I don’t know if it makes sense to develop in this direction. But there is progress. E.g. just recently they added the deviation analysis to spot local discontinuities, which helps to manually match surfaces on demand. The deprecated VSR plugin was pointing in the right direction.

1 Like

As a transportation designer working with Rhino for many years now, I’m truly offended/insulted to be called ignorant and arrogant. My 3d models are being used for production, often without rework. In fact, whenever engineers cannot quickly reproduce my design intent, they ask me to rework their data. A decent designer does understand what it means to design for production. It’s much more about the discipline to develop quality data. Nearly anyone can hold a brush, but that does not guarantee they automatically create great art. The same with modelling. We see quite a few applicants saying they are proficient in modelling. Often they mean they can “hold the brush”, but are incapable to create decent models. Rhino is perfectly able to produce high quality data, just as Catia is able to produce total crap.

4 Likes

Sorry I was not explicitly offending someone.

Its just that I encountered so many delays, Often this is due to the fact that some designers slowed down because they are producing all design sketches in class A. This does not mean a designer is not capable in creating class A models, its just they are wasting so much time on clean modeling, which absolutly is not neccessary or of their domain. The time which is spend on modelling is wasted on the design part.

I remember communicating a lot of times doing a sketch and explain the design intention. Not modelling anything. It is true that many engineers are not very good in understanding the design intent, but its also true that a design intention often does not work. And a lot of work is actually spend in proving this. I mean this can vary from company to company, but a designer is totally underestimating the work of the engineers, and vice versa.
Since my education and my working experience made me stand in between, its hilarious to see the argumentation of both. And yes a lot of this is through arrogant and narcissistic individualls all over the automotive industry.

When we talk about Rhino for final production models, I’m a bit confused by your statement. Maybe this can differ at your company, but seriously I never seen a true a class A model created by Rhino nor by native Catia. Icem Surf, Autodesk Alias or to a certain extend Catia ISD are the tools of choice and there are numerous of reasons. Rhino’s strength is somewhere else, and its used for a couple of other tasks. This is even a common denominator under automotive designers, at least here in Germany.

1 Like