Windows and doors from curves and blocks

Hello together

I am learning to create windows and doors from curves and blocks. When I model a window from a curve and export it with an IFC 2x3 it looks like this in ArchiCAD 24 and Revit2020. Why? I took the instructions from this video VisualARQ 1 tutorials: Create windows from curves. - YouTube

Many greetings
Boris

Hi @Boris_87,

I tested it and I got the same result as you. I tried to reimport this kind of windows to VisualARQ and they are not correctly imported either, so I am reporting this issue in order to fix it.

1 Like

Thank you very much

Hello @Boris_87,

We have been discussing about this issue with the development team and it looks like it is a Revit issue. Reimporting this kind of windows to VA produces a different bug which we already had in our list. For what you need, it seems Revit does not import custom-shaped windows, so you should report the issue to Autodesk.

Hello Alfonso

Thank you for your help

Then not only Revit2020 but also ArchiCAD24 (see above)? Strange that two BIM programs have a problem with this. I am modelling a sample apartment building. Maybe I will discover a solution while I am working on it.

Many greetings
Boris

Hello @Boris_87,

In the meantime, as a workaround you could explode VisualARQ windows and tag the resulting geometry as Ifcwindow.

Hi @Boris_87,

This is Enric Marquès, a VisualARQ developer.

I tried a sample model that I’ve created to test your issue, and apparently, it works fine in Revit 2022.1:

So there are two possibilities:

1. You need to update to Revit 2022.1.
  2. The model you’re using is different, and it can also fail in Revit 2022. Can you share it with us?

Regarding why it fails in ArchiCAD and Revit: well, IFC is a very complex file format, and almost all BIM applications in the market have issues with it. You should try Solibri Model Viewer to check if an IFC is valid or not. It’s just a viewer, but if Solibri shows the window, then probably the IFC is correct, and Revit has an issue opening the model. Even VisualARQ has a rotation issue when opening the same model that I have previously exported with the custom-shaped window.

Regards,

Enric

1 Like

Vor dem Zerlegen

Nach dem Zerlegen

Vielen Dank für Ihre Hilfe. Aber das ist für mich im Moment keine Lösung. Ich brauche einen Intelligente Geometrie für die Wand etc.

Viele Grüsse
Boris

Hello Enric

Thank you very much for your help. I am glad to know that it works in Revit 2022. I will be very happy to try the Solibri Model Viewer. Thanks again!

Many greetings
Boris