Why V-RAY for RHINO ability must not be just as V-RAY of MAX !?

Hi,
I have this important question from mcneel stuff ???

This has nothing to do with McNeel and everything to do with ChaosGroup. Why not ask on their forum? --Mitch

Really True :slightly_smiling:
But I think V-Ray plug in could be an order from McNeel??!! and a group worked tool!!

I think there are a couple of issues here.

Vray is a rendering plugin which completely relies on the base software package. MAX has been developed for years purely as a 3d graphics application and has grown lots of features to enable users to get the best images possible.

Rhino has been focussed purely on modelling in the past and has only recently opened up to plugins. Iā€™m guessing the developers may not have had enough time yet to implement all the stuff that MAX has.

Also, initially, the vray plugin for Rhino wasnā€™t implemented by Chaos Group but it was done by a separate company based in the usa. That company has now been purchased by the Chaos Group and the quality of the plugin for version 2 was much better. We can only hope for even better in version 3.

Frustrating I know.

1 Like

A minor point but important just the same.
Your characterization about the ability for plug-ins being a ā€œnewā€ thing for Rhino is incorrect. Plug-ins and a public SDK have been in Rhino since the beginning.

Max and Rhino are intended for different primary uses. Simply stated, Max is intended as a visualization tool and Rhino is intended for manufacturing. The two applications are based on different geometry types and do not share any core tools. Each has itā€™s own Software Development Kit and I have to assume with different features.

Considering these differences, I suspect it is not possible for a plug-in that shares a basic rendering engine to be implemented the same way in these two very different applications.

I understand that may not be clear to a top level user, but under the hood, these are very different applications with different strengths and abilities.

Great response :+1:
This Question had been made me so adobtful about Rhino!! Because the Rendering Ability is so important factor for Modeling tools especially for Architects!!
I am so hopeful about Vray3 for Rhino!! :wink:
So thanks

Apologies John, I never knew that. I personally only became aware of plugins from version 4 onwards.
Just out of interest, what plugins were available for version 1.1 and 2?

You can still produce great images, it just takes more effort. Donā€™t give upā€¦keep renderingā€¦

Flamingo was the first one.
Even thatā€™s not entirely accurate.
In the spirit of ā€œeating our own dog foodā€ (making sure our SDK works), many basic features of Rhino are implemented as plug-ins.

Ah ok. Thanks for the info!

Thanks for your investigation!

All of your sayings about the intended of two software is completely Right! But:

From the costumer Investigation a Plug in such as Vray that is a Rendering Motors with Its main Features and Parameters Couldnt be such strong in two Software??

The Promotion is a main feature for each software!! and as you Know, now days Designers and Architects more and more are using the software such as Rhino that It`s Modeling Tools is Easierā€¦

@ft1

Chaos Group is well aware that their various versions of V-Ray do not match very closely, but they are working hard to ā€˜unifyā€™ both the look and feel AND performance across the various applications. Version 3 is coming out soon and is a huge improvement. The have also re-imagined the entire UI, so it will be definitely be more beginner-friendly.

2 Likes

I wish too for Latest Version of V-RAY!! :pray:

If you are having trouble with the basics, I have done three separate rendering courses on V-Ray. I teach a lot a tips and tricks to make the confusing interface much simpler and easier to use. In fact, I try to leave about 90% of the settings alone, so its a lot more fun that way!

- Rendering Fundamentals with Rhino and V-Ray

All of my courses are listed here. If youā€™re not a lynda.com member, here a link for 10-days free. I also post random free video tips on my professor3d website.

So nice, Thank you for your Guidance! Surely I will use these. :slightly_smiling:

Really I am training 5SRW course that try VRAY for Max and I am conforming That for VRAY in Rhino!! and I at-last found that The Rhino Vray isso Basic in comparing To VRAY of MAX especially in CAMERA setting, LIGHT setting andā€¦

anyyyyyy idea at all on timeline?

I am absolutely pining for this update.

Which Camera and/or light settings would you like to see in V-Ray for Rhino?

One of the biggest disasters I find is the output from the frame buffer.

In max you could save out jpgs and choose the compression. VfR - only saves with an unknown preset compression.

In max you could save out true 32bit images. VfR - no idea what ā€˜bitā€™ the HDR or EXR saves as but they are useless to work with in p-shop, I just canā€™t believe they are 32bit images.

The only decent image format from VfR frame buffer seems to be png.

The colour correction curve saved within the max file in max and would remember the folder where you last looked for a curve. Neither happens in VfR.

Other items -

Per object exclusions from lights in max. Also could choose specular, shadow etc exclusions.

Image maps and colours could be copy and pasted within the materials editor within max.

Iā€™ll have a look at the list I posted on the chaos groupā€™s site for more, canā€™t remember it all at the moā€¦

Sorry for the long, grumpy list Matt.

ā€¦other gripesā€¦

When assigning a material to a layer would there be any chance to make the window that pops up capable of remembering itā€™s previous size? It always defaults to a small size which tends to hinder my search for the correct layer and the added click and drag thatā€™s necessary each time to expand the window for some reason feels annoyingly painful!

It would also be superb if the layer colour could be represented in the list by a coloured dot too. This significantly speeds up the search.

It would be nice to be able to composite multiple maps with control over the blend modes - like the composite matl in max.

Fog - with near and far falloff and an option to ā€˜not affect backgroundā€™. Also would be good to be able to select a texture for this (ie vray sky).

Lock the rendering to a specified viewport.

Good noise textures (like in MasterBerconā€™s noise maps for 3dsMax).

Vray furā€¦

Volumetric lightsā€¦

ā€¦and in max saving a png file out of the frame buffer gave you options for 8 or 16bit images.

why u insist on doing the architectural render in vray rhino? most of the architects are doing the visualization rendering in Vray max. the main reason because most assets (trees, cars, other model that u wont have time modeling yourself) are in Max vray format. also faster rendering. Vray 3, especially 3.3 have all the latest algorithm to render faster and better result. not to mention, in 3dsmax all the advanced render materials and elements fit in industry standard pipeline.

the bad news is, Id say it is almost impossible for Vray rhino to be as good as Vray Max. when Rhino eventually have Vray 3. Max will have Vray 4. and so onā€¦
the good news, u can always export your model to 3dsmax. and render it with all the latest tool in Vray for max.

if you insist to work entirely in rhino, try Maxwell render. there are other renderers that are just as good.