When giving a thickness to a 3d mesh does not go the expected way

Hello everyone!
I’m working on a design and I’m experimenting the extrusion on 3D mesh.
The idea is to add thickness to the 3d mesh but when I’m trying to make a solid extrusion or offset I can’t control the direction and one way or the other the operation doesn’t work.
I have attached zipped file below, can someone please help me and tell me what am I doing wrong or if it is a better to achieve the requested.

I have no clue where to go from here.

1.013v test2.3dm.zip (7.2 MB)

this mesh is simply too bad to do anything with it. You can run _MeshRepair:
Mesh has 579 degenerate faces.
Mesh has 56234 non manifold edges.
Mesh has 31583 duplicate faces.
Something in the way how it was generated must have been wrong, so if you did that in Grasshopper, you could send the def to see what happened.

Regards
Ferry

Thanks ferry59 for the reply, I’m checking out the _MeshRepair : but yes you right there is way too many errors and I’m trying to run the _MeshRepair : but it doesn’t seem that I would be able to fix the problems.
Here I have the grasshopper file that I used to generate this 3d model, I should say that I’m fairly new to grasshoper and in the learning process, if you could give me a tip in where I did the mistake.

1.013v gh.3dm (3.4 MB) 1.013v gh.gh (614.3 KB)
Thank you,
Best,

meshrepair will not repair this mesh. Delete a face and you will see one or two overlapping faces behind. Back in the evening i’ll have a look if not one of the others would do in the meantime :slight_smile:

So the opening of your gh-file failed (sorry, aborted after 60 sec.), just had a look with disabled solver, somehow strange, why meshes? …, many duplicates in the .3dm… - however:
one technic (of many) to bring patterns onto geometry would be _flow wich works with surfaces. You would have to convert the polysrf with sections and _loft into a single srf.
There are many topics how such patterns can be constructed, e.g. this one by HS_Kim

So do not hesitate to study further :slight_smile:
Regards
Ferry

Thanks for the help… i have revised the .gh file to create only polysurface so the files are lighter but I am not able join all these faces together . here is an earlier sketch of the model, the idea is for holes to get smaller as they get closer to the center.

1.013v gh copy.3dm (3.4 MB) 1.013v gh copy.gh (608.2 KB)

Best,Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.24.33 PM

So I internalised some of your geometry (purpose of the most I didn’t understand) into this def. I hope I could improve it a bit - finally it joins all together and it became lighter.

RE_1.013v gh copy.gh (755.7 KB)

HTH
Ferry

This looks great, thank you. If I want to give a thickness to this, how can I do it?

Best,

My mistake: scaling this polysrf will not work, there will be self-intersections. So you would have to reconstruct it in Rhino by the desired thickness. Then run the def with this polysrf again and loft the corresponding edges to achieve a closed polysrf.

btw you could mention, please, what the purpose of this should be. It looks rather senseless, badly constructed from twisted, untrimmed srf, just like some kind of playing around…