What would be nice if

What would be nice if the function … tapered surface extrusion on the SOLID menu really worked.
I should avoid to curse mould makers when they ask me (rightly) to unmold 2 or 3 degrees an bee nest .
Hope on Rhino v 6.

1 Like

Hi Mario,

Can you explain what isn’t working and provide a sample file? Are you looking for an OffsetSrf command with draft rather than an extrusion?

Extruding non planar poly curves tapered does not clean up between segments is, I guess, the problem - not a new complaint.

-Pascal

Hi Brian
Attached a sample file of what I mean
sample.3dm (9.4 MB)

and this is what the mold maker wants …
sample_2.3dm (3.8 MB)

Thanks. I believe Pascal’s description of the problem is accurate, and I found a report I filed a couple years ago that I bet is the same limitation. http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-20650

I added your sample but don’t know when and if something new for this can be explored. Maybe @lowell can comment on the complexity and likelihood of when it could be looked into. Thanks again for the further info!

Mario, is this result close enough for what you need?

sample_maybe.zip (1.5 MB)

-Pascal

Hi Pascal

Yes, this closed polysurface is what I needed, and I thank you very much.
I think to know the way you have obtained it, you used your script “ProjectObjects.rvb” which only now i remembered to have, great for this type of cases.
But there are many other cases in my workflow , where I’d like to have the ‘tapered’ option working…
Especially when i model helmets