What is best method extend tip of this solid?

Hi,
V5

3dm attached. see foot of text.

Slight oops, I have the curved tips of this U shape solid a little too short of where they should be, they should be tickling that target surface, (no precise hit, visual only)
Is it a case of exploding, duplicating edges and re-creating it where necessary, new sweeps etc. , or can it be adjusted as a solid, saving doing all that ? Rear to remain where it is, outer area to stay same size, just the two tips to move forward on the X axis a bit and consequently the angle of the edge running to them will change.

Scale1D will also make the entire front move fwd, keeping the leading edge angle, I dont want that, the outer portion (base of the U shape, if it were standing upright as a letter U that is !) is the correct width.

If anyone would care to have a go and jing it and post the result, ?

Would a Parametric prog handle this with more ease ?
Could I open this in one and do that or would it have had to have had constraints and dims added as it was built ?

Exploring additional progs Inventor and SpaceClaim at the mo as they do metal bending in a jiffy, something that has to be hand crafted for the times I need it. Inventor is parametric whilst SpaceClaim, um… not so sure, a direct modeller.

Says here it will adjust dumb non parametric imports. Not sure how it would tackle this shape .

actually it sounds as if SpaceClaim and Rhino are good friends:-
http://www.spaceclaim.com/en/Company/Partner/PartnerPages/RhinoPartnership.aspx

here is my 3dm file.
ExtendTipToTouchSurface_bestMethod.3dm (321.8 KB)

Steve

Hi Steve,

I downloaded your model and accomplished your task. I am attaching it for you, I added my method here, and also in the notes menu in the rhino file.

The main issue here for you was the object and c-plane orientation needed to be aligned on the axis that you were looking to stretch. Let me know if you have any questions!

Method:

• moved c-plane to world top
  • reoriented object to world top c-plane
  • made vertical plane from defined width location to bottom edge flush with the c-place
  • created a bounding box around your object (this gives the exact boundary around it to include your curved edges)
  • used intersection point on bottom flush/plane/c-plane point as base point for the stretch command
  • used bounding box edge as reference point to stretch from
  • finish stretch of geometry portion at your specified distance

hope this helped!

Michael

M

ExtendTipToTouchSurface_bestMethod_Modified.3dm (523.6 KB)

Hi,
many thanks indeed.
I think I follow that, stretch command was the one key ingredient and I am pondering over the need for a resited Cplane though as I thought mine was aligned to the object.
Understand that the base point of stretch was established by throwing a surface across from the fwd limit of the part that shouldnt move.(defined width location your term).
Bounding box was not a cage edit but to define a reference point to stretch from, slightly struggling on that one but getting there.

Glad to see it could be done on the solid.

Interesting to see how SpaceClaim manages it. same requirements to create a base for the stretch maybe.

Steve