What happened with VSR/Autodesk Shape Modeling?

Hi everybody,

Sorry for the long proposal but I’m really concerned about that and I’m not finding a concrete answer. I will be very happy to get any advice. Here we go:

I’m trying to find a good workflow for surface modeling by learning new Rhino tools and searching different plugins and ways like working with history and try not to break it (possible?) to modify surfaces by editing original curves.

Anyway I’m getting some continuity/flow problems that must be caused by a bad practice but I still don’t know exactly how to make it better. I’m also spending a lot of time rebuilding surfaces that I want to edit but have not history anymore and are not linked anymore to their original mates or curves.

1. Where can I find a “theorical base” to study and understand what a good surface modeling is based on to make my workf (with Rhino)low better, choose the right tools and get the highest exploitation of Rhino possibilities?

2. What happened with Autodesk Shape Modeling? Is Rhino 6 coming with an implementation in that sense? Should I start studying Alias if I want to be solvent (using mates and realations and so on) as a “Surface Product Designer”? [Not A-Class, but something visually fluid and easy to modify]

As usual, the most of my doubts must be a consequence of a poor knowledge and I’ll be glad to learn by all you can provide, but I suspect that in this case there is also a software limitations (if we compare it with other [parametric!!!] professional surfacing tools). I would really like to know how far can Rhino go with this because my professional future is directly attached to it while Rhino is my main work tool.

Thank you very much and my appologies again for the heavy text!

1 Like

Hello,

ASM,VSR,Dolphin are dead, and are not part of r6 anymore. However new tools might appear sooner or later.
For surfacing, I would strongly say that you should learn more than one platform. I use 3-4 different cad platforms
at work, and it really isn’t so difficult to switch over if you get a basic understanding. Bytheway understanding concepts of class A, lets you produce better result even on non-class a platforms

3 Likes

Hello Tom, thanks for yout answer.

Could you recommend anywhere to find a good knowledge source further than tutorials for specific softwares (that are obviously very useful)?

I mean, if all this programs work with the same concepts (curvature, tangency, cpoints, isocurves…) I think there must be a common knowledge to study regardless of the one I use.

Anyway I will start with other complementary tools as soon as possible.

Thank you very much!

Could you recommend anywhere to find a good knowledge source further than tutorials for specific software (that are obviously very useful)?

The only good source is daily work and working mates.In my company people with 20+ years can teach you a lot.
There are only a very few books out there, not covering much. Some aspects why is that:

People who are good in surface modelling usually don’t have time or fun in writing books (about that topic).
And if they have, they probably write about other things. Academic research on this topic is low, because
it needs a lot of practice, which needs years of experience, the academic benefit is low, and to be honest most academics staff are lacking years of professional work. They might have people, but time is too limited to teach good surfacing skills, when other aspects are important too. While being at university I haven’t had any clue, I just thought I have, but best attitude is to be aware that there is always someone better. You only need to find such guy and learn from him.
Another aspect: A lot of professionals are not allowed to publish things about their work . So for tutorials they would also
need to model examples, which triples effort. You might start with official tutorials. Check youtube or other for first impressions, but be always aware, that there is someone better.

Just a further answer to your initial question:
ASM would still exists if more people have bought official licenses. There was obviously a high
rate of illegal licenses, so they had to sell it to dark side in order to earn enough.
A lot of people know vsr tools , but the amount of sold licenses was extremely low.
That’s the main problem regarding high quality plugins for rhino.

1 Like

Thank you for your exacting reply,

It seems you are right about academic stuff, so there is almost nothing to find out there and the facts you make reference seem to be weighty reasons for that low academic content… Anyway there should be something more for amateur designers… I think.

Definitely I will start with other software while I still learning Rhino. There is a lot of work to do and I have to make the most of some experienced people and tutorials around me.

The license market and the origin and history of any software is something I’m discovering now, so when I was at University it was like “they’re all unaffordable for me as a student, so I will find an unofficial license”. Now I’m entering into the professional world and I see how important is the amount of a license to determinte a company workflow, so this factor will make the choice to one or other software. This is making me to find out what is the market position of any company in contrast with many factors and where is the dark side’s monopoly.

Thank you very much for the advice!!

I think a great place to start would be to learn the difference between single span curves/surfaces and multispan curves/surfaces. The difference between Bezier patches and NURBS.

Once you understand the differences then it’s a case of trying them out for different situations when modelling. Each has it’s own benefits. Knowing where and when to swap between them will be of great value to you.

Of course, different software handle these things better than others.

2 Likes

If you do a bit of searching online you will find lots of very useful information about the theory of nurbs. It might seem a little technical but it really helps your modelling skills to have a basic knowledge of how it all works.

A good place to start is actually the Alias help files, which are online. Autodesk has done a good job of explaining the basics and most of the info applies to Rhino. Some of the terms used are slightly different but you can still learn a lot from it. There are also good articles on the McNeel site.

YouTube is another good resource. I have learnt some good techniques from watching Phil Cook’s webinars for Simply Rhino.

1 Like

Nothing better than get some key words!
After a bit of research now I start understanding and I am using single span surfaces more than before, so I didn’t know how to generate them on purpose (G=n-1). There is a lot of practice to do but finding this terms has been so helpful to organize it all in my head.
Thank you!!

1 Like

Thank you MisterB!
Nice couple of sources you are dropping, it’s good to find a serie of tutorials with continuity…

did I just get a “popular link badge” because of this accidental link? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It doesn’t matter what they say… it matters who says it :sunglasses:

1 Like

I clicked just to be part of the team! 53 clicks and counting :smiley:

-Jakob

1 Like

well if you need a friend in india, go to mates.in :joy: