Welding polys in Rhino sucks :(

In TSplines it’s thank god a one click operation ‘TSWeld’

couldn’t cut this with my new method. Anyone who can help me with this issue? Running out of time :frowning:

Rhino’s mesh split, mesh trim and mesh booleans are faulty, I pull my hair out every time I have to use them.

(Btw: Weld is used after Join, to set the visual smoothness of the mesh)

What you can try is to move the trimplane a little bit, so it doesn’t intersect any vertices. And run SplitDisjonedMesh first in case the mesh consists of multiple parts joined together. And you can try to rebuildmesh to get rid of those areas where you have many vertices.

Hey @Holo is there a way to delete edges in the geometry? this would be of massive help, since when i.e. ‘RebuildMesh’ I would loose the texture which is crucial since I want to have the overall sail unfolded into those cut pieces (hope you get it)

Ah, now I understand why you need to split it up. I take it the sail was constructed in another app, if not you could split up the nurbs and unroll the parts.

Rebuild should keep the current mapping intact, but you can also use planar mapping and project the texture onto the shape.

To delete parts of the mesh you can either turn on the controlpoints and select and delete, or you can use the deletemeshfaces command. (icon of a bucket with a mesh on it’s way into it, you find it underneath the mesh icon)

If you can attach the file it is easier to help you find a good workflow.

1 Like

@holo it won’t keep the mapping intact. Trying another workflow now since I’m working with ExactFlat, just cranked up the resolution of the original sail surface (constructed in Rhino) and try to split and flatten with ExactFlat. but some strange issues anyways with the mesh distribution with EF. But in the end this fixing and solution digging is good for your brain :slight_smile:

Thanks Holo, maybe I update afterwards, but running out of time with the project.

1 Like

Reduce mesh keeps the texture well aligned here, and has always done so for me.
I made an example to simulate your file.

Maybe meshing each nurbs panel separately (explode the sail) can help you out too, so you don’t get triangulated meshes along the edges.

the problem is with all the remeshing or cutting @holo, there would be all the texture lost. that texture thing is so important and so annoying, sitting on this, which should be 3 hours since 3 days…:frowning:

@holo, maybe you can help me with this. I’m back to meshes :slightly_smiling:
As you might see my current approach is to generate pulled curves, than rebuild them to 3rd degree and 25 points, then create a love with a connecting simple line. Then I would create a cutting surface with ‘Loft’ and now as you see there are straying uncut vertices. Maybe you know something to get this working. Hannes

Or another handy solution would be if it is possible to delete those many edges. Can’t work with Tsplines since it would create a Tsplines object which instantly looses the texture when converting back to normal meshes.

Heureka, this command is not working for most of the edges but at least on some, to have the split working properly
Slowly but surely…

Well thanks for your "Reduce Mesh’ solution @hobo, this would delete all tiny difficult polys and evens out those tricky areas for proper cutting — works!!! Thanks a fucking bunch!!! YAYAYAYA

Found you simply can use “Reduce Mesh” and get over difficulties you can just use the curves for cutting…

Would any of the Rhino and/or GH mesh plugins help you? Apologies if not relevant. Haven’t time to dig into your specifics.

http://www.giuliopiacentino.com/weaverbird/

http://www.food4rhino.com/project/element?ufh

http://www.evolute.at/software-en/evolutetools-for-rhino.html

Glad you got it working! Woot woot!

But HOBO? Is that the nickname I deserve after helping you out?
From wikipedia: A Hobo is a migratory worker or homeless vagabond… :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi @hannesgrebin ,

Something else that may help you are the adaptive remesher and curve cutting tools in ExactFlat. The adaptive remesher will create a new FEA mesh over top of your original mesh. The new mesh will use as few triangles as possible while preserving the surface and boundary fidelity of the original mesh. It will also preserve all your texture coordinates.

The curve cutter is very similar to the Rhino mesh split command, except it only operates on ExactFlat model/pattern meshes. It will accept an input curve and split the model or pattern along that curve. Again, it preserves all texture coordinates and often succeeds where the Rhino mesh split command fails.

Please contact me if you would like to see how either of these tools can be used to help you with your sail project.

-Luke