Vray complaints

I don’t know It appears each time while opening a new rhino file

so it is on open ? no other action ?

Just bought a new computer opened 3dm from google drive. No textures are showing even though they show in vray asset and render but rendered view.

I am so amazed by how unreliable this can get. I had to remake whole model beacuse of missing assets and broken vray materials. Now should i do it all over again? Because vray just cannot store its materials properly?

Refreshalltextures didnot help either.

Rhino 7 SR15 2022-2-8 (Rhino 7, 7.15.22039.13001, Git hash:master @ 2833e18992fc4b5cf99bb29c4d8e8add4f02074d)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-02-08
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19044 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (NVidia) Memory: 12GB, Driver date: 2-10-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 511.79
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 2-10-2022
Driver Version: 30.0.15.1179
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 12 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

If you go to _

-vrayShowFilePathEditor

Does it show missing bitmaps? or things looks okay?

Yes, a few material textures are missing i dont know why (those which are not part of basic material bundle but were later download via cosmos) but those which are ok also didnot show in rendered view. I solved it by unticking and ticking diffuse texture slot in the asset editor. Like an … because 3 versions of Vray 5 have not been enough to fix such stupid bug. Again and again. This software is impossible to use. Everytime you use other pc to open your file it is all screwed.

Were you using Rendered View? or V-Ray interactive? I’m aware of Vray’s move to .tx bitmaps instead of .jpg or .bmp caused an issue. was this model created prior to update 2? and then opened again and you got this issue?
I’m not able to reproduce the issue but I’m sure that it will happen the night prior my deadline.

Model was created before update two probably it is an ongoing project for half a year. But last time it was editted on my older pc with latest version and everything was working fine. Opening today on a new pc caused the trouble. I can share you the model.

Please do, I can test it on mine.

well, if they render in V-Ray and show correctly in AE - they are properly stored.
You most probably have problems displaying .tx files. Rhino does not support them, so we convert them on the fly using a Windows service. That service may not work properly for some reason.

Try toggling something in the material back and forth. That will force regeneration of the material and force a new conversion

I’ll hook up Refreshalltextures to force the conversion automatically to eliminate the necessity of changing the material

1 Like

Redownloading geometric cosmos assets was flawless which i had problems with last time though.

This would be very nice and solve a part of the troubles.

Two more problems i have encountered (discussed above just summarizing):
-opening model without vray installed is very risky not to mess up the model for good
-cosmos materials downloaded and imported in the scene were the ones that were misssing filepaths after opening on new PC. Rest of materials which were standard ones coming with the installation of vray worked well (except the textures not displaying in rendered view).

Good, nice to hear that. I just logged the Refreshalltextures request. It will be done by the end of the day, and you will get it in the next update (veeery soon)

on the two notes:
-opening model without vray installed is very risky not to mess up the model for good
Yes it is. That is true for every plugin - Enscape for instance. If V-Ray is not loaded everything is in the hands of Rhino and the user. If you change the type of the material - there is nothing we can do. That material is gone. Rhino makes a copy of it, completely strip it from any plugin data and you get the “Disconnected materials” box. At least we provide an option to salvage the material with a little bit of manual work.

-cosmos materials downloaded and imported in the scene were the ones that were missing....
yes, that is true. You must have all the cosmos stuff locally available, otherwise we can’t resolve texture paths. You can merge the cosmos asset to the scene, and then it becomes regular stuff - proxy or material. From then on that would work just like any other regular material or proxy.
I hope you understand that it is necessary nuance in order to protect the content. Free stuff is “free” for you, but we pay for it. Just like facebook :slight_smile:

Please be more precise describing the issues, that considerably reduces the guess work we need to do to figure out what is going on.

1 Like

I’m opening the model and out of the box it shows the textures:

all missing stuff is cosmos material textures.
Since cosmos materials are imported baked (not a black box asset) If you use PackProject feature, those texture files will be packed alongside the .3dm file and if you move the file to another machine, the texture files will be resolved correctly

interesting that you can see the textures in rendered view right away

Now i am getting strange artifacts using vray clipper.
I checked the model there are no hidden objects that could cause these artifacts in revision cloud.
I think the model is pretty neat and precise.

Hello, below are my experiences, Running the Latest V-Ray 5.20.04 Jan 28 2022

1- No textures are Visible

2- Since I downloaded the .3dm file I relied on my Cosmos library to find the missing bitmap files, I noticed some naming mismatch, I have a feeling that some bitmap filenames have been updated during the previous releases of Chaos Cosmos, see below:

Pebbles_white_01_100cm

Concrete_grey_06_100cm

3- I had a ton of missing cosmos assets I was able to download easily without a problem.

4- Had a missing HDR file for the dome light, Generally a good practice for everyone to archive the project whenever you decide to leave it for a while using “Pack Project”

Anyways, It took me around 20 minutes to relink the missing bitmaps and I got the result below:

Can’t wait to use the “RefreshAllTextures” soon.

1 Like

I couldn’t reproduce your issue, since my Lighting HDR was different, It is either the lighting or the exposure settings in the VFB

Congrats @tay.0. You beat me with few hours with the ultimate solution (I should sleep less)

Tay.0 is absolutely right, the two materials have been updated, and in the model, old versions are used. The problem is that material and HRDI cosmos assets are not kept as black-boxes, but as regular materials and textures. This mean that the user is responsible for taking care of the textures files, just like regular materials. You just can’t download the same material on the other side and expect that it will be resolved. This is ONLY for geometric cosmos assets.
That is why I suggested using PackScene - this will gather all textures and cosmos assets and you will not even need to download them on the other side. (I’ll make some changes to allow that, but it won’t make it in the next release)
I agree that our design is not what the users expect, so we would do something about it.

Now, let’s take a bit more automated approach, shall we ?

1. Download the exact materials. There is no infrastructure to do that in Rhino, but there is in GH.
    Just open this file on empty Rhino project , and click on “download packages”
    cosmos_mtls_dl.gh (5.9 KB)

2. Set your local cosmos library path to the Rhino search paths. This will allow the file path resolver to find downloaded cosmos materials that were not bundled with the project

3. Download all cosmos geometric assets. There is a button to each assert in the Asset Editor. You need to click on each one of them. There is “Download all” button, currently in development

4. RefreshAllTextures is already hooked up, but until you have it you can use this short script (requires 5.20.04):

import rhVRay as vray

with vray.Scene.Transaction() as t:
    for mtl in vray.Scene.PluginsByCategory("material", True):
        mtl.scene_name = mtl.scene_name

Here I made a short clip

1 Like

That’s the benefits of living on the other side of the Globe. I confirm that the python script works nicely.

But still, the issue with materials losing their association is still here.
Saved my work on Friday, and everything worked fine, on Monday all the materials are suddenly Rhino’s “custom”. This thing happens occasionally, usually don’t have many materials to remake but would be nice to not worry about it.

1 Like