Voronoi on Surface (multiple directions)

Hello Guys,
My grasshopper script creates a Voronoi shape on a surface as shown in the screenshot. The shape is exactly how I want it but the problem is that it only works in one direction. Meaning if I select multiple surfaces that are in different directions it doesn’t work anymore probably. I would greatly appreciate your guys help. Thank you
Till

HEXAGON.3dm (4.2 MB)

VORONOI SURFACE.gh (12.8 KB)

This is one way; you might want to cull PopGeo points that are too close to edges?

VORONO_2024_Jun19a.gh (13.1 KB)

1 Like

Here is a different way to do it. Geometry is internalized, no need for Rhino file. Would be much better if the simple geometry were created in GH instead of Rhino.

VORONO_2024_Jun19b.gh (28.8 KB)

1 Like

Thank you so much for these scripts. Both are very helpful, but yes the points close to the edge look kind of cut off. How to I cull those points?

The cyan group in this version creates the geometry from scratch.

VORONO_2024_Jun19c.gh (25.5 KB)

The base brep can be an shape, this one is twisted:

1 Like

Thank you this is awesome. How did you create the twist? I can’t see that in the gh script. Did you create the surface in rhino?

Something like this purple group (in version ‘a’):

VORONO_2024_Jun19aa.gh (18.9 KB)

In GH, not Rhino. I did not post the code because it’s ugly and flawed…

1 Like

I like the way it twists. Would you be able to please post the script? Would be interesting to play around with. Thank you

I am extremely reluctant to do so because the results are UGLY and WARNINGS fail to dissuade people from looking and commenting. There are so many ways to create “vase” shapes, which is basically what this is.

PLEASE IGNORE this code :bangbang:

VORONO_2024_Jun19cc.gh (29.9 KB)
VORONO_2024_Jun19ccc.gh (32.2 KB)
VORONO_2024_Jun19ccc2.gh (33.6 KB)

Tweaking parameters can dramatically modify results (of course).

2 Likes

Thank you for all the help. I greatly appreciate your knowledge. I’m sure people will understand.

Do you have a YouTube channel or something like that where you share your knowledge? I believe a lot of people would enjoy it.

Just goofing around…

VORONO_goof_2024_Jun19d.gh (34.4 KB)

1 Like

I found myself doing the same thing with these scripts. Just goofing around… It’s so much fun

Play is a good way to learn GH :exclamation:

VORONO_goof_2024_Jun19dd.gh (31.5 KB)

1 Like

Yeah, I think so too. Still struggling to fully understand everything.

Happy summer solstice. This version creates and scales the ‘TweenCrvs’ in the same plane before moving them vertically to loft them. Result is about the same…

VORONO_goof_2024_Jun20a.gh (36.5 KB)

1 Like

Love the script! Thanks

Instead of using SDiff with a cylinder, I tried to open up the interior using Offset Brep (“thicken” brep, R8 required?) posted here:

But failed, so resorted to Scale which isn’t quite the same when shapes are not spherical. But in this case, it works well enough? (and in R7)

VORONO_goof_2024_Jun21b.gh (31.5 KB)

In the process, I discovered a second common component besides Area that is not compatible between R8 and R7: Volume has extra hidden outputs. :interrobang: :angry:
missing

1 Like