Voronoi 3D on solid geometry with 'falloff'

Greetings,

I’ve recently started using Grasshopper and I’m trying to apply a voronoi 3d pattern on top of a mesh (as seen in this picture, albeit with much smaller holes)

Now, because of the shape of the model, I’d like to have the voronoi holes be largest at the base, smaller in the mid section and non existent at the top (such that the model retains its original geometry). This is what I mean by falloff. So far I’ve been able to conclude that this can be done with attractors, however most tutorials focus on a 2D plane.

I’ve also run into the problem of not being able to actually create the basic voronoi 3D on top of the model, as grasshopper has constantly given me errors.

I basically want to be able to 3D print this part and use it as a lamp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Here are the files:
Untitled 006.3dm (3.4 MB)
unnamed1.gh (12.7 KB)

2 Likes

Hello
Your example was certainly done using dual mesh/skeletal mesh from triangular mesh. It is very similar but doesn’t use the Voronoi components. You will find a huge discussion on that here

For that you need a good triangular mesh (use MeshMachine) and then Dual Mesh.

Here a more standard version using Voronoi 3D components and Dendro to make the volume.
It is quite long, so disable Voronoi, Intersection …

voronoi lamp.gh (2.7 MB)

11 Likes

Thank you wholeheartedly for the reply, this is exactly what I’ve been looking for.

The last few renders you poster are basically it. Thought I wish to ask which options do I need to change to get a different wall density? I’m also assuming that getting the filled base and tip
in the last images is achieved by playing around with the graph curve?

I’ll definitely tinker around with the settings to figure this all out.

There are many parameters to play with.

1. The whole density is the number of points (I tried 5000 and 10000)
  2. Yes the Graph Mapper is the way to change the density (to remove points randomly). I used also Riched Graph Mapper that has some more options to play with. Look at the screenshot the shapes of the curves and the density.
  3. Another parameter is the radius of spheres for Dendro thickening.
1 Like

Super nice work, Laurent, but I like the original better. :rofl:

2 Likes

Definitely, no question about it being inspired by the marker!

Thanks for the explanations, I played around with the graph but I can’t seem to get it as smooth as https://global.discourse-cdn.com/mcneel/uploads/default/original/3X/b/a/ba3227742be7bd79dba2142a4da0be543078e0f1.jpeg

near the top.

The bottom part is fine, with larger holes, mid section is also great with smaller holes, but I can’t seem to get the top as smooth as I’d like it (with no holes). There’s always some bumpiness present

For sure that’s not as easy as it seems and I didn’t say everything … I used a smoothing component from Dendro.
10iterations

No iterations

1 Like

Ah, that explains it.
Again, thanks a lot!