Vertical array

Hi I’m trying to create a vertical array for an assignment for Urban Design, instead of a grid say 20 x 40 showing 3d buildings in plan view, i want to show the face view (from the front).
Thanks, GeoffreyFAR.pdf (918.4 KB)

Really? This image from your PDF is your “spec”?

:man_facepalming:

z_array

Hello,
I understand your assignment, but from what I read it seems you that you have done nothing. In order to help here are some
Assumptions
You have some 3D models of buildings (20 x 40 ?)
Analysis
Rotate all 3d models,
Make the bounding box of all models
Measure the projected surface, length, and width of the bounding boxes
Sort by area
Use Max Length And Max Width plus an offset to array

That’s all.

There is an example not far from what you need here

Attachments available until 13 Sep 2020

Thanks for the response, I’m 3 weeks into this program, I have attached relevant files, I want to achieve same as PDF not looking from the top of the buildings. Regards,Geoffrey

| Laurent Delrieu
August 13 |

• | - |

Hello,
I understand your assignment, but from what I read it seems you that you have done nothing. In order to help here are some
Assumptions
You have some 3D models of buildings (20 x 40 ?)
Analysis
Rotate all 3d models,
Make the bounding box of all models
Measure the projected surface, length, and width of the bounding boxes
Sort by area
Use Max Length And Max Width plus an offset to array

That’s all.

There is an example not far from what you need here

Read a .stl in grasshopper Grasshopper

Here a new version that handles STL files with many solids inside. STL_reader_LEGACY.gh (24.4 KB) [image] It works with the file showed in this dicussion. it is also possible to bake the name of the objects using adequate plugin. 18 seconds for 84 meshes and 23 millions of vertexes.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Click to Download

Volume Calculator slider 2.gh
27 KB

Click to Download

Volume Calculator slider 2.3dm
2.7 MB

Click to Download

Wanchai FAR.pdf
47.9 MB

Th banks, but no good cant use plugins (MAC) Rhino 6

This very much sounds like a “do my homework for me” type question.

Did your instructors agree that crowd-sourcing your education is a good idea?

8 Likes

Hello
there is no plugin in my script, the only not common component is a STL reader written in C#. I explained the whole logic

• Rotate all 3d models (front, top … whatever)
  • Make the bounding box of all models
  • Measure the projected surface, length, and width of the bounding boxes
  • Sort by projected area
  • Use Max Length And Max Width plus an offset to array

putting objects on a grid.gh (236.8 KB)

packing_

4 Likes

That’s plagiarism my friend, the work has already been done but none of us can get the required result and your program doesn’t support MAC. I’m a qualified architect with 30 years experience so do me a favour and don’t challenge my integrity, look in your own backyard before you make unwarranted accusations. We can share this email with my lecturer if you prefer?
Regards Geoffrey Broadbent

Okay let’s figure this out. What sort of answer are you looking for? I’m asking because it’s not clear to me what you have, what part of what you have doesn’t work, and what it ought to look like once it does work.

Do you have a collection of shapes? Or is it shape parts? Or shape constraints? What do the ratios in the original pdf mean? Are they measurements or are they goals? Are you looking to generate documentation graphics, or do you want to generate more shapes?

Thank you,
Very briefly the the exercise is to familiarise ourselves with Rhino and use it as a tool to analyse building form and volume of a city in this case Wanchai, Hong Kong. No marks or grading, the assignment for the semester I think will be a city of our choice using all the experience gained from the exercises to produce an analysis and study of the city, volume, site area and open space.

So, Im 4 weeks into Rhino and cant work out how to produce a grid with the measurements (analysis) attached so that I can extrapolate the document into illustrator for presentation.

I have attached a final PDF of the type of grid for the city (Wanchai) looking from the front, as you can see. I can do the top (plan view) OK as you can se in the file attached. I can rotate the image but that isn’t the solution as the top row is set back and not on plane. I think it is an addition to my formula that you will pick up in an instant and save me another 4 weeks and incidentally I will share with fellow students as most of them have no idea?

Also, when I export I produce polylines, I need hidden polylines which is a plugin called wireframe which MAC doesn’t support but I think I can overcome by exporting to AutoCAD.

So, attached is the GH and rhino files and you will see the city building block of about 330 buildings, I need a plan view with analysis and a front elevation of all the buildings in a grid form as per the example PDF. Sorry to be long winded but Im trying to keep it simple. I will then I will then compile this with all the other information including modelling and analysis into a presentation.

I trust this explains my situation?

Many thanks for your response.

Volume Calculator slider 2.gh (38.2 KB)

Volume Calculator slider 2.3dm (2.8 MB)

Wanchai FAR.pdf (1.3 MB)

AXONOMETRIC 02.pdf (858 KB)

WHAT are you talking about??!!

Your Rhino file appears to be empty? So the GH file doesn’t work:

You’ve gotten off to a very bad start here Geoffrey. It’s up to you whether or not you provide a coherent problem description and Rhino/GH files that others can use. So far, you have failed at both.

| Joseph_Oster
August 17 |

• | - |

broadbentdesign:

That’s plagiarism my friend

WHAT are you talking about??!!

broadbentdesign:

Your Rhino file appears to be empty? So the GH file doesn’t work:

You’ve gotten off to a very bad start here Geoffrey. It’s up to you whether or not you provide a coherent problem description and Rhino/GH files that others can use. So far, you have failed at both.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Thank you,Very briefly the the exercise is to familiarise ourselves with Rhino and use it as a tool to analyse building form and volume of a city in this case Wanchai, Hong Kong. No marks or grading, the assignment for the semester I think will be a city of our choice using all the experience gained from the exercises to produce an analysis and study of the city, volume, site area and open space.

So, Im 4 weeks into Rhino and cant work out how to produce a grid with the measurements (analysis) attached so that I can extrapolate the document into illustrator for presentation.

I have attached a final PDF of the type of grid for the city (Wanchai) looking from the front, as you can see. I can do the top (plan view) OK as you can se in the file attached. I can rotate the image but that isn’t the solution as the top row is set back and not on plane. I think it is an addition to my formula that you will pick up in an instant and save me another 4 weeks and incidentally I will share with fellow students as most of them have no idea?

Also, when I export I produce polylines, I need hidden polylines which is a plugin called wireframe which MAC doesn’t support but I think I can overcome by exporting to AutoCAD.

So, attached is the GH and rhino files and you will see the city building block of about 330 buildings, I need a plan view with analysis and a front elevation of all the buildings in a grid form as per the example PDF. Sorry to be long winded but Im trying to keep it simple. I will then I will then compile this with all the other information including modelling and analysis into a presentation.

Many thanks for your response.

Volume Calculator slider 2.gh (38.2 KB)

Volume Calculator slider 2.3dm (2.8 MB)

Wanchai FAR.pdf (1.3 MB)

AXONOMETRIC 02.pdf (858 KB)

Repeating yourself is not clever. You are already in a deep hole so stop digging.

So you don’t understand the problem or is your comprehension of english poor?

Bye bye.

2 Likes

Your experience doesn’t teach you how to present or behave in a public forum.

Help Us Help You

https://discourse.mcneel.com/faq

6 Likes