I use SelColor a lot to quickly hide, lock isolate different parts of my scene. I can give each of my layers a color and have a 1:16 million chance of a collision, but the proposed command would be nice to have…
Related: RightClick on Layer > Select Objects / Select Select Sublayer Objects is a bit far down the list… just one of those things that cost a few milliseconds every 10 minutes - it adds up and distracts.
I Know about -SelLayer but this does not work with the current selection, just with Picking
edit: and the option to set the background color / font / size for the layer / prop panels would be very nice… I really miss a monospaced font when looking at a long lists of layers
Here are a couple of quick mods to one of my existing scripts that should do what you want -
This one asks you to pick some objects or takes a preselection, then selects all objects on that layer plus all objects on any sublayers. It only selects in the “down the tree” direction, i.e. if a selected object is on a sublayer, it will select objects on any sublayers of that, but not go up to the parent layer. This works like RightClick on Layer > Select Objects / Select Select Sublayer Objects SelObjLayerTree.py (875 Bytes)
This one will select the entire layer tree of the picked objects - up to the top level parent layer and down to the lowest level sublayer. SelEntireObjLayerTree.py (1020 Bytes)