V6 wish : Arrange layout tabs

HI @Ian,

The Rhino 7 WIP has a new Layouts panel - have a look at it and let us know what you think.

– Dale

The new layout panel is simple and effective, you probably haven’t got round to it yet Dale but;

The ability to shift layouts (one or a selection) up or down the list and a column sort lock.
Synchronisation between the tabs and the list - order/lock/new layout insertion order. (probably automatic but others may prefer an manual update option)
Imported layouts initially grouped together at the bottom of the list would be easier to distribute.

Hi @BrianM,

Just curious, with the new panel and the fact that you can sort and search it, why do you need to re-order the layout tabs? Why do you need the layout tabs at all?

Thanks,

– Dale

I also wondered about the tabs and whether the double up is necessary, maybe not.
The panel list order sorting may be useful for grouping layouts together during a working session, mainly where many layouts are present and the full list is longer than the screen height. The more I think about it, maybe sort is not necessary as an alphabetical list is quick to scroll…

@dale. I have now realised that I have confused “viewports” with “layouts”. I see now that Rhino distinguishes a viewing window that is used for 2D drawing sheets as a “layout”, and a viewing window that renders the 3D model itself is a “viewport”.

Although, my confusion might be slightly justified in that when you open Rhino and you are presented with tabs at the bottom of the screen (I mean in the ‘factory settings’ default - I’m sure some people have customised their own arrangements): perspective top, front, right - you have the option to add ("+") a “new layout”. I’ve sloppily lodged that in my mind, although I know that really you have to go to View>Viewport>New Viewport to get more 3D-model-viewing tabs.

Anyhow, that means all my comments over the years complaining that VIEWPORT TABS (not layout tabs) keep rearranging themselves, have been misinterpreted or didn’t make any sense to anyone. At some stage I’ll regurgitate my old posts about this problem here, in the hope that can be fixed someday.

@BrianM @dale Regarding the need for sorting, it is common for us to have sheets get put ‘on the backburner’ for a time but good to keep around since effort was done in originally putting it together. To be able to sort by a property on the sheet would be useful. The values we apply in the example given would be things like _PERMIT, ON HOLD, PHASE 1, PHASE 2, OOTB. This controls the scope of what gets printed and allows for sheets made for internal use to be used. It’s common for the design process to print either hard copy and pin up on the wall or print to PDF with a the same layout for comparing iterations. We would never issue these sheets for Permit but would use them extensively through design. Being able to group these together in the Layouts tab and also Print based on that grouping would be very helpful.

1 Like