V6 WIP offline installation

This is pretty typical behavior, but maybe the buttons are not descriptive enough. When a program is not installed, the installer lets you install it. When the program is installed, the installer lets you change the features that are installed, or remove the program.

This is due to Microsoft deleting the redistributable files that the installer is trying to download. There’s a workaround here and a fix in the next build.

Good idea.

Nope. It’s by design. When you’re doing the final install, you could pick any number of languages to install - I can’t tell that during the download phase.

In essence that’s what does happen. It’s just that you’re using the “not online” method, so you’re getting the additional screen to help you see what you need to do next.

Yes, that’s the correct number. English is embedded, and you got the other languages. The smaller pt-pt is probably a bug… I’ll look into it.

I think that just moves the problem around. I’m open to the idea of having a “download everything embedded in one installer” option to eliminate all these instructions. Given my experience with customers reading, understanding, and choosing the correct option, my hopes are low that it’d actually work right. In practice, what would likely happen is that busy people who don’t want to think (that’s like 99.8 of us) would download the default installer, get to their “offline” computer, and it would fail. The installer would say “It looks like your computer isn’t connected to the internet. To download our offline version, Click Here, (kidding - you’re offline - copy this URL and go somewhere else and download again.)”

But in the mean time, there’d be a bunch of extra text that everyone has to read and think about, and that most people can completely ignore. Those situations are hard, because when given a choice, we need to communicate to people what the choices are, why they care, and help them make the correct choice. It turns out that is harder than you might think, because we’re mostly all in a hurry and don’t want to read.