V-ray Pop-up window freezes

@matt_newberg

Any idea??

Update:

After playing around on V-ray, this seems a random behavior. Can be ignored for now…

I removed the (SOLVED) from the thread title, as this behavior is still around. Would love to see this get resolved.

I believe this issue was also resolved with the solution in this post:

• Imported materials don’t update.

@KevJin

Do you have steps required to duplicate the issue?

@matt_newberg

This can be easily produced by importing .vsr? (Vray material format.)
Will update this thread when I use Rhino and V-ray next time…

I am still getting window freezes with the latest update. Only with the material editor thus far, and not the Options yet. Most seem to occur randomly, but one happened when a render completed and I was a couple levels deep in editing a material. Eventually, switching between windows I was able to close the specific material popups, but could no longer get focus to the material editor. Again, it’s like there’s a hidden modal popup that can’t be found, and doesn’t come up when alt-tabbing through windows.

Edit - I still have a feeling it might be linked to autosave, I’m going to turn off Rhino autosaves and see if I get any more freezes.

I have the solution.

Search for “vrayforrhino.ini” in: C:\ProgramData\ASGVIS (program data is a hidden folder)

open It with wordpad, scroll down until you find

[Licensing]
gui_timeout_minutes=5

Change the value from “5” to “-1”

Problem solved…

2 Likes

Wow, I hope that is it, will try that. Thank you.

@matt_newberg Are you aware of this setting being problematic?

@gregb

Yes disabling the gui_timeout_minutes can resolve freeze issues for some users. People that share a network dongle will still need that setting turned on.

Thanks for the reply. I hope for other users’ sake a fix is being worked on, or at least defaulting to the disabled setting for non-network dongles, because that is certainly a serious bug.

I haven’t had a freeze again yet, will update if I do.

@gregb

The UI code will be different for 3.0, and should completely resolve these issues.

2 Likes

Sounds good, thanks. While I’ve got your ear, any chance of VrayEnvironmentFog making it into 3.0 for Rhino?

@gregb

It is high on the list of things still to add, but isn’t in V-Ray For Rhino 3.0 yet.

1 Like