UV Indicators

Hmm… thought I’d asked this before.

I still maintain that it could/should be an advanced option, if there is reluctance. Lil checkbox, whatever, sure thing.

I’m not hearing any negativity at all, so I guess we’re all just wondering what the hold up is. Although, this must be a really ancient request; surely people have maybe wanted us indicators even in the times before rhino 4 which, for example, was my first rhino.

Have you ever wanted to know the maximum deviation from RebuildUV, like in the UV command? That would be quite cool I feel.

And for it to be in a menu like Rebuild maybe even too.

1 Like

For SoftEditSrf, an improvement to the command would be for it to mimic RebuildUV - so as, when entering the value of a direction which you are editing, to see the direction of isocurves you’re editing in yellow. This is quite a nice feature of RebuildUV, to be fair (direction shown in yellow).

Yeah, in post #9 I mentioned that it would be nice if the “Rebuild surface” and “Rebuild surface UV” commands could be combined, and the “Tab” key could be used to conveniently swap the direction of rebuilding between U, V or UV simultaneously.
I see no reason to have two different commands. I’m ware that they were written in different time periods and that they produce a bit different result, though. For example, if you run “Rebuild surface” and modify only U or only V direction, the opposite (non-modified) direction will be modified anyway.

That’s why it’s good to have two commands - I like to just modify in one direction a lot. I prefer having the dialog box however.

Hi Pascal, could the same thing be done with ChangeDegree? This rather unhelpfully shows both directions, when you are changing just the one at a t8me from the command line prompts (u, followed by v). It would be good to have just the relevant arrow during the respective prompt.

I also think that, in RebuildUV, rebuilding to, for example, two points in a direction should change it to a single span degree one surface. Rather than wanting the minimum points for current degree of the surface.

tab is used to toggle subd from box to smooth mode-

As well as a “toggle” or “lock direction” or “change direction” for several other commands, which was a great idea. Hopefully its functionality will be expanded to other tools, too. :slight_smile:

Tab can be configured. I configured it to T, and then configured the smooth/box toggle to ‘T’ as well. That way, Tab will toggle anything when there is a ‘T’ option available. But also still works as the toggle outside of there.

That way, it could be foreseeable that any and all commands with ‘T’ or Toggle could use tab. Actually, what I should do is Hotkey Tab to ‘Toggle’, and also Toggle to the box/smooth. Kind of a workaround, but goes some way. I lose the T as a Top View shortcut which i did like is all.

can always make top “tt” or something like that. I double up my aliases all the time.

s for snap, ss for select surface, sss for selopenpolysurface etc… nice and fast, and very easy on your hands for rsi concerns…

“Rebuild surface UV” uses the “T” key as a toggle for the type of rebuild, which is an option most people don’t change anyway. However, to switch the direction between “U” and “V”, the “D” key must be pressed, followed by “Enter”. This is why I think that switching the direction should be assigned to the “Tab” key.